News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Leaving the Hobby

Started by Diesel #261, October 05, 2008, 12:55:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diesel #261

Hey guys,
I am sorry I haven't been on for a while.  I have just started school again and I am very stressed out.  I am sorry to say I might be getting out of this hobby.  My mom is getting sick of having to trip over my layout and she has told me several times she is going to sell all my stuff.  I will see about posting an update in this topic as time goes on.  Best wishes to all you guys out there. ;)
"Shaking and spluttering, the diesel stopped."

scottychaos

I see by your profile you are 16..
this is what I would do if I were you..

Box up all your trains and stick the box under your bed or bury it deep in a closet..

then just wait..

I know it seems like a long time, but before you know it you will be in College, then have your own place..then you can do whatever you want! ;)

Or..at least pack up the layout that your Mom is tripping over and maybe build a small switching layout or something?
something that wont be "in the way"?
then you can still enjoy the hobby, on a smaller scale, and it wont bug your Mom..

IMO, if Mom aint happy, its not worth the hassle of annoying her anymore..
pack up the trains and just wait a few years..there is no reason you have to "leave the hobby"..just put the hobby on hold for awhile..the time will pass very quickly..

I had the same issues..20 years ago..
most of my HO scale trains are STILL boxed up to this day! ;)
(im modeling in G-gauge and On2 now..not HO scale anymore)
you will probably also find that in 5-10 years you wont be "modeling Thomas" anymore anyway..but you will be glad you still have all your Thomas trains safely packed away and still in your possession..

"you cant fight city hall"! ;)
best to just deal with the regime for the short time you still have to..
very soon you will be able to make your own rules..

Scot

ZeldaTheSwordsman

IMO, if your mom should have known what she was getting into when she allowed you to become a modeller. It's her fault, she's got no right to complain. ;)

kreeve

I would have to agree that you should box it up and store it away.  When I was twelve (late 1970s) I received the TYCO sprit of 76 train set. I loved it.  Well after many years it ended up boxed up and put away.  After I was married and my parents sold their home, they presented me with a box with my train stuff in it.  There was my first train set.  It made my day, and got me back into the hobby. 

So do not give up.  We all go through cycles in our lives when we have to put school, family, and other things first.  But it is always fun to get back to the fun things like trains.

Kevin

Santa Fe buff

Well when my dad and I started on the layout, soon it became a big triper. Before you know it, that 4x8 is balance on top of a '69 pullman green Pontiac Grand Prix. Now my mom says: "If you want that layout, clear out your room so we can paint it, we'll see some of your stuff to make room, and you'll sleep along a 4x8. Okay?" One day later my room is empty. 8) But I still have to finish prep, because now all my stuff is downstairs making a bigger tripper, but people don't trip over a pile this big! :o But not having a layout hasn't got to me; I work on my friend's. ;D
- Joshua Bauer

StanierJack

I'm currently in the same situ.

My mum isn't happy with me modelleing, Thomas or not, but when I said I could have worser ones, it made her think. At least i'm not going out drinking like some of my friends are.

The fact I also own a car now, makes room an issue. I'd rather work on my car now, but trains are still a hobby.

The Chaz Storm

I'm on the same boat as some of you guys.

I have outgrown Thomas, but I will still watch the original series 1-7.  I chose to do this myself though but in the past my parents were not too happy with me being a Thomas fan.  They thought it would be best if I made the decision myself.

I am still into collecting Bachmann models though, for Hornby it would depend on what they would make and what the chances would be of Bachmann making the model (IE Donald, Douglas, Daisy, Boco, etc)  But of course I like to keep things the original way so I am going to get the models from the original series (Since S1 is basically done except Terrence...).  Like if Bachmann announced making Arthur and Rosie, I would get Arthur but not Rosie. 

I sadly haven't found the time to work on my model railroad like I wanted to because sadly I am busy with things outside of model railroading such as school, homework, and I am planning on getting a new job in a few months once I get my driver's permit.  I know once I am basically done with school and I have more free time in my life I know I will be able to work on a model railroad. 

Like Jack said, trains are still a hobby to me and always will be. :)

Santa Fe buff

Hey, you don't have to model to know and give advice. ;) Besides you could always railfan, and Thomas does come on T.V. So although your leaving the modeling section for awhile, your never leaving the Train Hobby as long as you like trains. ;) :)
- Joshua Bauer

Diesel #261

I got some good news. ;D  I was showing my parents Dan Snell's series on YouTube and when they saw his layout they thought it would be good for my house.  My dad and I are working on building tables that will mount on the wall.  I am going to have my layout set up to run around the basement.  I have started on a small viaduct that will run from one table to the other.  Mom is also happy about this idea because she won't have to trip over my layout anymore.  Sadly though I am going to be taking apart my old layout and use the track and such on my new one.  I will post pics once I get a camera. :)
"Shaking and spluttering, the diesel stopped."

Santa Fe buff

;D YA! YEAH! Great news, glad your still in the hobby! ;)
- Joshua Bauer

Michigan Railfan

Shawmut,

I have'nt read this yet, then you already posted yours about a new layout.  This would've been kind of hard, but an idea.  I am subscribed to the magazine Classic Toy Trains, and saw a good idea in it.  They made a layout that folded down from the wall.  Like I said, it would be hard to make it, but it's a good space saver. :)

Will_Annand

I too vote for the box up and store method.

I too was a modeler in my teens, Father had a layout.

But then when I moved out and my parents moved to an apartment, they offered me the train stuff, I was in unniversity and in a small apartment, I foolishly said "No thank you".

Well, he sold the stuff...

Now years later, both my father and I are back into it.
He moved from the condo to a small house with full basement...

I moved from small apartment into large 2 bedroom apartment and had room for a layout.

we both kicked ourselves that we sold the stuff years ago as there were lots of memories there.

jettrainfan

I have outgrown Thomas, but I will still watch the original series 1-7.  I chose to do this myself though but in the past my parents were not too happy with me being a Thomas fan.
[/quote]

yeah same thing here... what ever happened to George Carlin? Oh yeah..... He's up their telling jokes and commode shows. "This is Mr. conductor talking!" he says!lol ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ! i love that quote! and i miss those days with Reco Starr too. Why Britt? Why!?!?!?!?! to let you know the Mr. conductor was from when he was talking about children and he was Mr. Conductor in shinning time statin series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account

ThomasFan247

Quote from: jettrainfan on April 25, 2009, 10:53:25 PM
I have outgrown Thomas, but I will still watch the original series 1-7.  I chose to do this myself though but in the past my parents were not too happy with me being a Thomas fan.

yeah same thing here... what ever happened to George Carlin? Oh yeah..... He's up their telling jokes and commode shows. "This is Mr. conductor talking!" he says!lol ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ! i love that quote! and i miss those days with Reco Starr too. Why Britt? Why!?!?!?!?! to let you know the Mr. conductor was from when he was talking about children and he was Mr. Conductor in shinning time statin series.
[/quote]Actually George is dead. He died near the beggining of the year.

jettrainfan

Quote from: ThomasFan247 on May 03, 2009, 06:51:00 PM
Quote from: jettrainfan on April 25, 2009, 10:53:25 PM

Actually George is dead. He died near the beggining of the year.
[/quote]

i know :( i wish he stayed. but i did say :...He's up their... so as in heaven but yeah you get my point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account