News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lubrication for a 2-8-0 Spectrum

Started by sparkyjay31, October 05, 2008, 08:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparkyjay31

Last night "down at the club" I started hearing some interesting sounds in my 2-8-0.  I'm assuming that after 10 or so hours on the track it's time for a good cleaning and lubrication.  So here is my question.  What do I do?  There are no directions included with the engine that let me know what and when to perform maintenance.

Is there anyone that can help me?
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

ta152h0

I will give it a shot. 10 hours is a good step to at least look what the wheel surface looks like. I personally wait til I hear a squeal and immediately stop the locomotive and minister the cure, very light oil and sparingly applied to the axles. Usually it is the front trucks that dry out first requiring oil first and really use oil sparingly for it " leaks " onto the tracks very easily. I use my CEO Singer sewing machine oil. The local hobby store has bottles of light oil with long small tubes that would make application of oil a far more elegant matter. ;D

PhilipCal

Two words re: locomotive lubrication. Lightly-Sparingly. 2-8-0 Spectrum is a great little locomotive.

jayl1

Also be sure you are using plastic compatible oil.

pdlethbridge

don't use vasoline, 3 in 1 or wd-40. they are not plastic compatible.

sparkyjay31

I'm writing this assuming that Mr Bach-mann is reviewing these messages.

Is it possible, in furure releases, to include a pamphlet in each and every locomotive showing the new owner when and how to perform simple maintenance?  Just something showing lubrication points would be a huge help.  Not all of us have been at this hobby for 20 years and know what to do and when to do it.

It may even help in the long run by keeping some returns for "a strange sound or squeal" from happening!

Jay
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

Pacific Northern

Quote from: sparkyjay31 on October 08, 2008, 03:18:35 PM
I'm writing this assuming that Mr Bach-mann is reviewing these messages.

Is it possible, in furure releases, to include a pamphlet in each and every locomotive showing the new owner when and how to perform simple maintenance?  Just something showing lubrication points would be a huge help.  Not all of us have been at this hobby for 20 years and know what to do and when to do it.

It may even help in the long run by keeping some returns for "a strange sound or squeal" from happening!

Jay

Good idea, something simiar to what BLI includes with their engines. 

Would not have to be printed seperately , could be posted to the Bachmann web page.
Pacific Northern

the Bach-man

Dear All,
It is a good idea- I'll work on it.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

pdlethbridge

Thanks Hunt, Excellent information. Maybe we can get The Bachmann to use this info as well in a quick link?

sparkyjay31

Thanks guys for the responses.  I'll give it a go over the weekend.
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

ta152h0

let's not flame the bach-mann. I think we all know some locomotives have specific requirements in addition to general lubrication practices.

sparkyjay31

Quote from: Hunt on October 10, 2008, 01:03:17 AM
Quote from: ta152h0 on October 09, 2008, 10:19:01 PM
let's not flame the bach-mann.
The Bach-man was NOT flamed by me!!!

Quote from: ta152h0 on October 09, 2008, 10:19:01 PM
. . . . I think we all know some locomotives have specific requirements in addition to general lubrication practices.
ta152h0,
Give examples of locomotives and their specific requirements not covered in my suggestion.

I was "flaming" nobody either.  Is this not a forum for comments and suggestions?   ???

And if some locos have more specific requirements than others should that particular loco not come with some sort of instruction pamphlet or at least a piece of paper identifiying such requirements?

We are not all seasoned veterans here.  We all are still learning.  I found Hunts instructions very helpful.  I printed them out, laminated them, and have them stuck to the wall near my working table.  Thanks Hunt!

Jay
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

pdlethbridge

I thought Hunt's comments were right on target for lubricating engines and who was flaming the Bachmann, I didn't see it and he does not deserve getting flamed.