Main Menu

southern 4-4-0

Started by Royce Wilson, April 27, 2008, 08:38:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Royce Wilson

What time periord is the Bachmann 4-4-0 painted in the southern green ? :D

Royce

hminky

It probably from the twenties, not that the southern had one like that. Besides it is in that horrid Rivorassi apple green pretending to be southern green.

http://www.srha.net/public/resources/equipment/equipment_detail.asp?id=307

I wish the manufacturers would get better "experts".

Harold

Royce Wilson

;D ::) Found the awnser by joining the Southern Railway group.

the 4-4-0 was painted green and ran in passenger service from Selma to Mobile. they also had some green ten wheelers in mixed train service.

the members on the Southern Railway group liked Bachmann rendition of the color of green.   thanks  all.                       
                                                                     Royce Wilson

Mark Damien

The new Southern 4-4-0 with Tsunami Sound is in BLACK Livery.

I hope Bachmann lets this livery filter down to the NON-Tsunami fleet.

I'm sure a they'd sell a few.
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Woody Elmore

The Southern Railway didn't start using green on their engines until the late twenties - early thirties. The president of the railroad went on vacation to England where he rode on the English Southern Railroad which painted their engines green with gold lettering and lining. He liked it so much he had it applied to SRy passenger engines using a color later called Virginia Green.

nickco201

Correct I believe that the 1926 batch Ps-4s were delievered with the green scheme however they had a darker graphite smokebox. I believe that later many locomotives were repainted with a slightly lighter graphite smokebox. Then the other Ps-4s, 4-8-2s and a handful of other passenger power was also painted in this scheme. Much later in the locmotives lives the smokeboxes got painted a much darker, almost black paint which they kept until retired. 
   Does anyone make a accurate rendention of SRR green paint ?

Woody Elmore

Scalecoat used to produce a green that was really close to SRy green. I have seen engines painted with the green from Floquil's British color line. These are both xylol/xylene based products and I wouldn't use them today.