News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Update on Walthers 90' Turntable Kit

Started by Les, October 05, 2008, 09:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les

I finally completed assembling the turntable kit and have it installed.  The turntable does turn with a minimum of problems, however, power to the turntable track is a problem.  It is intermittent and at present there is no power to the track, so will have to try to find the problem.  I have installed the turntable to use with an Atlas 3 stall roundhouse, and that did present a problem.  I had assembled the roundhouse which has floor under the building.  The floor was a 1/4" above the turntable track, so I had to remove the flood and attach the roundhouse walls directly to to the table top.  The locos do move into the roundhouse OK, so guess my kitbashing did the trick. 
A note for rogertra:  the turntable kit is a piece of crap, but now it is my piece of crap.  The turntable did take a good bit of sanding to the pit walls and then some Dreml tool grinding to the ends of the bridge.  If my time working on the kit would have been worth $10 per hour I could have bought the $250 Walthers turntable and would still have some cash left over.

pdlethbridge

I also have the 90' kit. When I bought it, it was crap but it works great now. Instead of using the wipers they provided, I made a couple of wire wipers that are u shaped. the top of left of the u rides the ring on the shaft. the bottom of the u is the pivot point, the right top of the u is connected to a small rubber band that applies pressure for the piece to the ring. I have never had a power problem with this set up. Their wiper set up doesn't apply enough pressure to the rings, solve that problem and you have a good unit.