News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Installing DCC on 2-8-0

Started by andylvtrains, August 09, 2009, 12:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andylvtrains

I am trying to install a QSI revolution on the 2-8-0, replacing the old bachmann/lentz  decoder. 

I read many times that for non-bachmann decoders you should remove the C1 capacitor (usually yellow, with a 105 number - micro-farads? -).  However on my circuitboard there is no C1 capacitor, but there are three other small capacitors (C2, C3, C4).  Could they interfere with the new decoder (even fry it) or they just affect the light??

andylvtrains

Jim Banner

Tony's tells us this:
QuoteAbsent is any diode/capacitor configuration that has confounded DCC users on various Bachmann Spectrum locos in the past.

I have no reason to doubt them.  What I would do is try the decoder of your choice.  If you get erratic operation, snip just one lead of each capacitor, leaving enough sticking out from the capacitor and from the circuit board to solder them back together later if you ever need to.  (I am assuming of course that the locomotive ran smoothly with its original decoder right before the swap.)

Incidentally, that 105 marking on C1 on some of the old boards indicated 10 x 105 picofarads.  This works out to 106 or 1,000,000 picofarads or 1 microfarad.  Years ago, they might have been marked 1 mfd or 1.0 or with brown-black-green colour stripes or spots.  All very confusing.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

Jim Banner

When it comes to capacitors, I share your headache.  Particularly when the part that I thought was a capacitor turns out to be something completely different.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.