News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rail Ties

Started by Cody J, October 02, 2008, 05:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody J

I know this doesn't have to do with modeling but I was wondering if you guys know the length,height,width and approximate weight of Standard Guge Wooden Railroad Ties.

Thanks For Your Help
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

Hunt

In USA --  it depends on use but generally
Height - 7"
Width  - 9"
Length - 102"

weight - varies depending on wood and treatment used.

pdlethbridge

Some railroads were noted to use extra wide ties if the land was not that solid, IE, B & ML used them over marshes.

Yampa Bob

On our ranch we use discarded ties to build corrals.  Here is the formula for weight.

8 A.M.   80 to 100 pounds.  :D
Noon    150 to 200 pounds.  :(
6 P.M.   500 pounds.  >:(

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

My railroad uses paisley ties, don't look too bad under the plaid rails By the way, have you ever used tie dye?

Yampa Bob

Yeah, I can see you wearing Kilts and playing a bagpipe. I thought you were Irish, so the ties should be green.

pdlethbridge

Actually I'm half scottish and I have a picture of me in a kilt when I was 2. The lethbridge name is English. I've got good looking legs so wearing a kilt today wouldn't bother me, I'll just need a tam o'shanter that will fit my fat head ;D ;D ;D

Yampa Bob

So that's what you call those things. My wife has one, with a bill in front, she calls it a "Beanie".  I'll take your word on the legs.

By the way, I told my wife about the "lump of coal". Since she is so nice, she wants to send you a fruit basket for Christmas..actually it's a box of "horse apples".  :D :D :D

pdlethbridge

How about making some horse apple jelly ;D ;D You could have then with meadow muffins and cow flap jacks ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ebtnut

Getting back to the original subject--standard gauge ties noramlly range between 8 feet and 9 feet in length.  The longer ties normally used on heavy duty main lines.  Shorter ties on secondary lines and yards/spurs. 

richG

Here is an example of what you can do with Google.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ned=us&q=wood+railroad+ties&btnmeta%3Dsearch%3Dsearch=Search+the+Web

Yes, it is nice discussing stuff in the groups but searching can usually expand your knowledge. Just watch out for Wikipedia. It is not always accurate. Most of the time you can check other links and compare accuracy of info.

Rich