News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

McKinzie Class

Started by MaW, October 07, 2008, 11:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaW

I have recently been designing a new engine for my railroad, the McKinzie and Western. (otherwise know as "MaW") Because of the heavy coal drags and long freights that frequently climb the steep McKinzie Pass, the MaW needed an engine strong enough to get the trains over the pass. This is where the new engine came in. It is the "McKinzie Class" 0-10-4.

Now, I need an engine to start with, probably being Bachmann's new Santa Fe 2-10-4. I also looked into Broadway Limited's 2-10-4, but for the prototype, I decided to go a little cheaper.

If anyone has tips or suggestions, please tell me. Help is always welcome when it comes to engine bashing!

Chase

richG

I did some searching and could not find a 0-10-4. I found 0-10-2. The 0-10-2 Union rom the Duluth Missabe and Iron Range, was developed early in the 20th century for pushing ore drags.
I have to assume this is a fictional locomotive for your railroad with no prototype.

http://www.toytrains1.com/union.htm

Rich

MaW

Yes, it will be a fictional locomotive. It is like the Duluthe and Missabe and Iron Range's 0-10-2s, it is unique for the railroad. Actually, I based my model off of this locomotive. I gave it four trailing wheels to support a larger firebox so the 0-10-4 could climb the steep grades of the "McKinzie Pass". I plan to make eventually make 6 locomotives, engines number 412 - 417.

Chase

richG

Ok, but you post was confusing. Don't forget, the 0-10-2 was only used as a pusher.

Rich

pdlethbridge

If its a lead unit, keep the 2 wheel truck on for better tracking. Another thing would be driver size. A switcher type engine like the 0-10-2 had smaller drivers than the 2-10-2 or 2-10-4

MaW

Sorry for the confusion. It is a pusher. The lead engines are mikados and northerns.

Chase

ebtnut

Rule No. 1 - It's your railroad, so you may do whatever you wish.  If you wish an 0-10-4, go for it.  You may want to look into some choices as to which variety of 4-wheel trailing truck to use.  Precision used to have a couple, with various wheelbases.  For your application, a shorter truck might be in order.  FWIW, the 0-10-2's were at one time owned by the Union RR in the Pittsburgh area (both roads being, I believe, controlled by US Steel).  There is some precedent for prototype kit-bashing.  The B&O took the boiler from one of their 2-10-2's to build a 4-8-2.  Having this spare ten-driver mechanism around, they put a new boiler on it and had an 0-10-0.  C&O also had some 0-10-0's.  They were built that way, and were not the most handsome beasts.   

MaW

This is true. Thank you for your thoughts. I will consider that. Fortunately I have some time before this question will ever need an answer.

Chase

SteamGene

Why do you want to remove the pilot truck?  If just to be different, okay.  But I'd go with a 2-10-2 and add a two axle trailing truck, and perhaps give it a smaller clear vision tender.  Perhaps run it pushing tender first.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"