Question about sound on the 4-6-0 DCC w/Sound

Started by Barry, October 09, 2008, 12:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry

I operate a DC layout with 4 blocks.  As I have not yet switched to DCC.  However, several of my newer engines are DCC capable and work fine on DC.

I am considering the purchase of the Bachmann 4-6-0 w/sound.

Is there a place I can go to find out how this engine's sound system works on a DC layout?

On you DCC Sound Equipped 4-6-0 Locomotive Product Code: 84902 operating on a standard DC layout how does one generate sound from the loco?  Is it automatic based upon speed, or does it require a device sending signals over the rails?  Is there a speaker in the engine/tender?  How would one control which whistle plays? 

Any help is appreciated.

JBJX@yahoo.com 

richG

Here is a link to the Bachmann Quick start guide for DCC locos. It will give you a little information.
http://www.soundtraxx.com/documents/manuals/Bachmann%20Quick%20Start%20Guide.pdf

I guess it is the same for each steam loco, dated 2006 so things might be different today. The article is provided by SoundTraxx who sells sound decoders to Bachmann.
Bachmann has not been know to provide much in the way of online or paper documentation.
I have the 4-6-0 DCC ready but I put my own speaker and decoder in the tender. The DCC ready tender is a little smaller than the sound tender.

The 4-6-0 that come with sound seem to have a larger tender because of the speaker. Unfortunately, Bachmann does not have a diagram of the sound version tender that I can find.

I have read more than once that the Spectrum DCC locos run on DC.

Rich

SteamGene

I checked with Rich's post and could not find your answer.  I know that BLI locos working on DC have their whistle and bell controlled by the forward and reverse switch.  While the loco is moving, and you want to blow your whistle, just reverse the throttle, then put it forward, and repeat as necessary for the whistle signal. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"