News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

OF 4-4-0 Prototype

Started by Hamish K, October 21, 2008, 07:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamish K

Dear Bach Man

Perhaps you can clarify a point that is confusing me. In a post on this board on 26 July DTO reported that you told him the OF 4-4-0 was based on the last 4-4-0 produced by Baldwin in 1945. I have seen that claim on other boards as well. The last 4-4-0 made by Baldwin was in 1945 for the United Railroads of Yucatan, Mexico. That railroad is 36 inch gauge. I have not seen a photo or drawing of that loco.

It is assumed by many that the prototype is the preserved 30 inch gauge Brazilian loco EFOM #22, a loco made in 1912. Drawings of that loco do seem to match the Bachmann model very closely.

So which is it? I am aware that Baldwin made standard designs, and that these could be sold to different railroads over a perod of years.

Hamish

Frisco

They were sent to Brizal. They may have been used in other places but I have photo's of them in service in Brizal.

hminky

In the September/October 2008 "Narrow Gauge  and Shortline Gazette" Editor Bob Brown says:

"I found a photo in an 1897 Baldwin catalog of a prototype 4-4-0 that is a dead ringer for this new Bachmann model. It was built in 1891 for the 30-inch gauge Oeste de Minas Railway in Brazil".

Harold

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Although Baldwin did make similar 4-4-0s throughout their tenure, the specific loco is a modern one. Note that it has disc drivers.  Since this is hard to see throughout he outside frame, it's easy to backdate, or simply "sell" as an older model by virtue of its surroundings. I plan on using one on my 1930s- early '40s layout.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Hamish K

Thanks Bach Man

As far as I know the last 4-4-0s delivered to the Brazilian 30 inch gauge line were the surviving #21 and #22 made in about 1912. The line did have earlier 4-4-0s including inside frame ones from 1880 or earlier - and from hminnky's information OF 4-4-0s from 1891 or earlier.

If the Bachmann locos are  based on a design from after 1912 or so then they are not the Brazilian locos, unless they were moderised at some later date..

In many ways this doesn't matter, the loco is certainly very close  to the Brazilian locos and can easily pass as them, but I am curious as to where else similar locos may have been sent?

Hamish