News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum GP-30 w/ DCC on board

Started by Mouse, October 16, 2008, 11:30:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouse

Mr. Bachmann, I've got a noisy GP-30. Using DCC, the engine makes a almost buzzing sound, but if I remove the shell, all is quiet. I've tried to brace the shell in spots, but can't seem to remove the noise. Any suggestions?

Yampa Bob

Here is an article by Jim Banner regarding the noise.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,1268.0.html

In the above thread, there is a link to an original discussion about noisy shells.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

Thanks, Bob.  Frankly, you amaze me.  You can remember, and even find, things that I have posted long after I have forgotten that I ever wrote them!
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

When I read your original thread, I imbedded a picture of you holding a needle in your teeth, playing a phonograph record.  Try this, type "Phonograph Needle" in the search box.   

Anyone can improve their memory with a simple tool called "Mnemonics".  The latest buzz word is "Synergy". 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemonic

At my age, I need all the help I can get.  :D

Now, to reaffirm what Jim wrote earlier, I had a noisy GP40, growled like an alley cat in heat.  Removing the shell, I found the orange and gray wires laying across the motor case.  The wires feed from the center of circuit board, down through a hole.  There was enough slack to pull the wires down through a little and reposition them in a space between the motor case and casting.  I added short pieces of thin tape to keep the wires in place.

After replacing the shell, the noise was gone. There is still a slight buzzing at slow speed, but I attribute this to the lower pulse frequency as mentioned by Jim in the first thread by Ten Wheeler. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.