News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dc to dcc

Started by Economy Guy, October 20, 2008, 01:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Economy Guy

I'm brand new at DCC. I bought a Bachmann Digital Commander deluxe.  When I tried to run my regular DC's on the track with the DCC, the DC engines made a loud electrical sound. They would move but I was concerned about the loud noise.  So I quickly took them off the track immediately.  What's going on?  The instructions said I could run my DC's with the DCC.  I tried to follow the instructions to the Tee. Thanks

Yampa Bob

Hi Guy,

Please read the instructions again, especially page 6 of the Bachmann EZ Command controller manual, under "Standard DC Locomotive Operation".

The second sentence states:  "...only ONE DC locomotive can be run at any one time on address button 10.  Since you wrote "they" and "them" you might have misunderstood the instructions and attempting to run multiple DC locos.

Read the caution NOTE in bold caps.  Personally I do not recommend running any DC locomotive on DCC power.  If you do this, don't let the loco sit idle at any time, since with DCC, full power is applied to the tracks at all times, even with the throttle closed. As for the noise while running, that's probably normal depending on the type of motor, but check the motor for heat as cautioned.

Bachmann DCC equipped locos are DC compatible, means they will run on a DC powered track out of the box.  However DC locomotives are generally not compatible with DCC systems.  EZ Command is one exception, allowing one DC loco. (with caution)  If you have several DC locomotives, you should consider upgrading them by installing decoders.  Some DC locos are "DCC ready", with the motor isolated and a plug to accept a "plug and play" decoder.

If you have any questions about installing decoders please ask in this thread and someone will advise you.

Good luck

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Running Bear

I've installed many decoders, from easy one step 'drop-ins' to fully involved hardwire jobs, and I can tell you there's nothing to it once you've done it a few times.
Running Bear

Yampa Bob

So far all my decoder installs have been easy drop-ins, I'm preparing to add a Tsunami diesel to my AC4400.  It's currently running with a DH123, whisper quiet at even crawl speed.

The manufacturer of the loco mentioned now has both JST and medium sockets on the board.  There are no instructions with the loco, if you are installing a decoder with the medium plug, be sure to remove the jumper board from the JST connector, as you would if installing a decoder with JST plug.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.