News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Good Loco

Started by Daylight4449, October 25, 2008, 12:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yampa Bob

Daylight, you really should check your spelling, we don't know if you meant "I have diesels" or "I hate diesels".  :)  You can use the preview to  proof what you write before you hit the post button.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Frisco

Joe Satnik

Anyone notice the rear pantograph raised up to the catenary electric lines on the GG-1 photo? 

I'm gonna guess that the GG-1 might not be a Diesel. 

edit: added "pantograph", moved and corrected catenary spelling  
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Daylight4449

Bing bing bing, we have a winner!!!!!. The GG1 is infact an electric loco

Frisco

Just because it is an electric locomotive does not mean that it does not look like a diesel.

Conrail Quality

We're talking about a GG-1 here, not an E44. It looks nothing like a diesel.

On the other hand, there were some steam locomotives that do look like diesels...

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Frisco

Not a fair comparsin your taking one of the best looking eletric locomotives and comparing it to one of the uglyest diesels. Try something more like this.

Yampa Bob

Which proves that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Frisco

I like the GG1...... but I still think that it looks like a diesel. Thats not a bad thing though because I like diesels to.

Frisco

When you buy it please post what you bought.  ??? Thanks

Santa Fe buff

The headlight and streamline style strikes resemblance, but the GG-1 is much more better if your not a diesel fan, for me, I'm only going to have one steamer, and possibly only diesels for my layout. But steamers are awesome, if you want something that is pretty cheap, I check e-bay. But then you get the threat of getting scammed, and so forth. Some electric locomotives were very identical to diesels:

That engine is in fact, a third-rail electric! But of course, the GG-1 isn't just an electric locomotive, it's the biggest one! I would go on that GG-1 hunch, they look so neat, and that's not just by pictures, I've seen one in person, huge suckers! Saw it at IRM. But by guessing by all the little add-ons to the electric third-rail, I'd guess it was a commuter.
- Joshua Bauer

SteamGene

Frisco,
Look to the right (your right) of the nose of the GG-1 and you will find a steam/transition black tanker between two boxcars, neither of which have roof walks and the N&W obviously doesn't have full ladders.  BTW, if you want to have realistic scenery with a GG-1, you are going to have to string wire! 
I'm sure that all you diesel guys know that the diesel engine's sole purpose in life is to generate electricity for the traction motors that actually propel the locomotive. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Conrail Quality

Frisco,
Let's just agree to disagree. I still think that the GG-1's resemblance to an E8 is remote, but there are a few similarities.
Santa Fe,
What you posted is an EMD FL9, a dual-mode electric-diesel-electric. It is basically just an ordinary EMD FP9(a diesel-electric), equipped with third-rail pickup that could bypass the diesel engine and power the traction motors directly. In practice, they proved to be fairly temperamental.

Of course, some electric locomotives were indeed, externally nearly identical to deisels, like this GE E44:

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

tac

In the USA the biggest electric locomotives by far were the W-1 class of the Great Northern Railroad.  They made even the rather large GG-1 look like a short-line loco.

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_gn5019.jpg

tac
www.ovgrs.org

Frisco

Quote from: tac on October 27, 2008, 12:36:11 PM
In the USA the biggest electric locomotives by far were the W-1 class of the Great Northern Railroad.  They made even the rather large GG-1 look like a short-line loco.
Now that is a good looking eletric locomotive.