News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA 0-6-0 Steam Loco

Started by Diesel #261, September 15, 2008, 01:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diesel #261

I just bought a USRA 0-6-0 Steam Loco and I am having problems with the smoke unit.  I put 4 drops in it but the loco won't smoke.  Does anyone know how many drops are to be put in or what might be the problem?
"Shaking and spluttering, the diesel stopped."

Yampa Bob

P & S,

The "smoke" is not realistic, and the oily residue settles on drapes, carpet and your layout. Kinda like having a smoker in the house.

Mind you, I'm just stating what has been reported by others, and they might just be "blowing smoke" as well. 

Someone on this forum mentioned a certain brand of smoke fluid that wasn't messy, perhaps they will advise on this further.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

ajp3751

I have one of these from six years ago (2-6-2, but really the same engine if you look at them). From what I remember, I ran the engine for a while to heat up the element that creats the smoke. Then I put one a few drops in there, four seems a little much for a cold start. It depends on the fluid you use, but try with smaller amounts, and as bob said, over use will leave behind some residue that you will have to clean off of your tracks. Don't use your smoke unit too long when you use it because it is housed in plastic which might melt when over heated.

SteamGene

Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

pdlethbridge

If you just got the engine, it may be too young to smoke. ::)

Woody Elmore

Does its mommie know it smokes?

Diesel #261

Quote from: Woody Elmore on September 17, 2008, 09:13:52 AM
Does its mommie know it smokes?

:D

Ok, anyways, I just want to know if the locomotive is to be doing this or not.  If so I want to send it back before the warrenty is up. :(
"Shaking and spluttering, the diesel stopped."