News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turn radius - HO

Started by RFP72, October 26, 2008, 07:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frisco

I don't not trust you. However I have found that different locomotives even if they are the same locomotive(like the 2-10-2) will sometimes and sometimes not operate on the same radius track. This might have something to do with my track although I doubt it because I use EZ track on a flat floor. I have found that I usaly get the same results as Model Railroad News does so they are who I refer to for product reviews.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Frisco on October 30, 2008, 09:18:14 PM
I don't not trust you. However I have found that different locomotives even if they are the same locomotive(like the 2-10-2) will sometimes and sometimes not operate on the same radius track. This might have something to do with my track although I doubt it because I use EZ track on a flat floor. I have found that I usaly get the same results as Model Railroad News does so they are who I refer to for product reviews.

Frisco, I have had trouble with EZ track.   I had a temporary layout/test track in which I had a 18 oval inside a 22" oval.  I had problems with the track moving out of alignment to the point a Spectrum 4-4-0 kept jumping the tracks on both ovals. 

Over a short period of time the track had become out of gauge and there were also small kinks that needed to be re-aligned.  I ended up having to hot glue the track in place to keep it flat and keep from moving.  Especially around the turnouts. 

Once I had my permanent benchwork completed and started that layout the track problems were solved.  I even had sections of EZ track that needed triming in order to mate without spaces in the track joiners/fasteners.

Pacific Northern

Frisco

Thanks, just a couple more months before I get to start my first layout. :)

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Forgive me if I duplicate anyone's info here as I only skim read your posts on this thread.
      First of all,  let me address reviews.   As far back as I can remember,  Model Railroader magazine has only done one negative review in all the years(over 40) that I have read that mag.    If you want to get - what I consider - honest reviews,  both good and bad,  then get a copy of Model Railroad News. 
       Now as to engines and curves.    It has been my experience that once you read advertising that states a minimum radius,  automatically add two inches to that miniumum.    Then look at the wheel base of the engine you are considering.   Other than a 2-8-2,   anything with 8 to 10 drivers in a fixed base,  add 4 inches to that minimum.   If an engine is articulated,   add two to be safe.
       We have been experimenting with the newly released,  Pennsy I1 - a 2-10-0 that Precision Craft claims will go around 18 inch radius.  Well....I don't know how they tested that engine to come up with that minimum radius,  but don't believe it.   
At 22r,  the engine struggles,  especially those with the long haul tender.   In many cases,  the problem with engines like the I1 is not that the wheels can handle the turn,  it is the fact - on a tight turn the cab and tender can and will make contact forcing something to derail.   The PC I1 is a GREAT looking and operating engine,  but you really need 24 inch radius for good performance.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Frisco

Quote from: ebtbob on November 02, 2008, 08:23:14 AM
      First of all,  let me address reviews.   As far back as I can remember,  Model Railroader magazine has only done one negative review in all the years(over 40) that I have read that mag.    If you want to get - what I consider - honest reviews,  both good and bad,  then get a copy of Model Railroad News. 

Bob
Thank you for saying this. My feelings exactly.