News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MMI C-19

Started by Frisco, November 05, 2008, 07:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frisco

Hi, I am thinking about getting a MMI C-19. Before I do I have a couple of questions. 1... Can it go around 22" radius curves easily 2..... Does it have any problems such a shorting or derailing  3....Is it DCC ready. Thanks, Ryan

Tomcat

Hi Ryan,

should do 22´ since we placed my new C-19 on my other layout, Logging theme with sharp curves usually max a Bachmann Connie would do. Ran, to my surprise, through these curves, which may be less than 22´.

The c-19 is a good runner, though. My one had shorts caused by the brake hangers and brake shoes - always check the clearance before getting it digital. It´s not DCC ready and getting a Soundtraxx Tsunami into the boiler is a tight fit. It can be done, but its a kind of fiddling arround. You can´t get a Decoder into the Tender as they modelled an empty tender - if this had a coal load, there would have been plenty of space.

Kind regards, Tom

Frisco

Thanks, does the K-27 and the K-28 have the same shorting problem?

Tomcat

Ryan,

some do - my first K-27 (1st run) had some problems, shorting out in curves, the next - my K-28 produced shorts since the brake gear had been in contact with the wheelsets, the same way as the C-19 later did, and my second K-27 outside piston had no problems at all.
My K-36 had been running fine forward, going reverse: Shorts - ask me where...?
Brake hanger, brake shoe...

They´re great, though, but I would have been more happy with a better running model straight out of the box. Paying a lot and fiddling arround for some time, which I could have used better for working on my layout.
That was the reason I posted this idea to have a Bachmann K-27 or something D&RGW or RGS... I´m sure, Bachmann could do better! ;) ;) ;)

Kind regards, Tom

ebtnut

I haven't noticed any problems with brake gear shorts on my C-19.  What I did discover is that the extra-wide blind drivers (as per prototype) would bridge over between the stock and point rails on turnouts and cause shorts.  I haven't had time yet to decide how to fix the problem.  The easy way would be to take a file to the back half of the drivers while having them turning and take off a few thousandths.  Anyone else have/solve this problem?

Frisco

Thanks, what do you have to do to stop the shorting problem?

Tomcat

Well,

on the K-27 and the K-36 it was just fine to correct the position of the brake shoes/brake hangers, but on the K-28 I did take off the brake gear completely since I couldn´t solve the problem at all. Actually, one nearly (...) won´t be able to tell, if this engine has brake gear on or not since it´s hardly to be seen.

The C-19 the same-corrected, but she still shorts out sometimes.

Kind regards, Tom

Frisco

Thanks, glad to hear that it sounds a  lot easyer than I expected.