News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ-Track Turnout Dimensions

Started by bfulton21, November 10, 2008, 02:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfulton21

Are the dimensions of the standard #44561 and #44562 turnouts such that the divergent leg is equivalent to the standard 18" radius curve plus a 3" straight? Or a 2 1/4" straight?

Is there documentation somewhere that contains detailed dimensions for the various components in the ez-track product line?

Running Bear

I believe the curve ends up being a little tighter than 18" radius due to the fact that the first part of the turnout is straight.
Running Bear

db22

I am also having problems with the layout of the track using turnouts. The geometry is a problem and I can't find info on which turnout to use with which radius. Surely the Bach mann knows?

Joe Satnik

Dear b,

The Bachmann "Remote Switches" copy the footprint of the Atlas "Snap Switches" with its 1/3 curve piece attached.

Neither are not drop in replacements for an 18"R 30 degree curve, as the curved portion is moved up the straight portion by 1.5".   (Lay a curve on top of the turnout and you will see the extra 1.5" at the points end.)

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Yampa Bob

In response to the second question, I am not aware of any documentation available regarding the geometry or measurements of EZ Track turnouts. The track system isn't intended for extremely complicated arrangements on compact layouts. It is an excellent product, but does have its limitations.   
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

wjstix

Well and most of the turnouts are (like the prototype) set up using 'numbers' relating the the angle of the frog, not to any particular radius of curve. The higher the number, the lower the frog angle...so a No. 4 turnout is much sharper than a No. 6 for example.