News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 Spectrum Dcc installation

Started by Grand Skunk, November 12, 2008, 03:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grand Skunk

I recently installed a plug and play decoder in my Spectrum 080. The engine did not run well. I read in a DCC article that the capactor that sticks up need to be cut on one side to cure this. Well I guess it worked because noe it doesn't run at all.

Could I get some suggestions on getting this engine working again. It really ran well in DC.

Jim Banner

Is it possible that you cut out more than just the capacitor(s)?  The link below shows the capacitor on a Spectrum Consolidation printed circuit board.  Some boards may have had two.  It also shows other things sticking up, things that you really don't want to cut.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/2-8-0/index.html

As a first step to getting your locomotive working again, unplug the decoder and plug the dummy plug back in.  If it runs on dc, then you probably have a decoder problem (but not necessarily a bad decoder - it could have just lost its address.)

If it still does not run on dc, then solder the component wires you cut.  (This is the reason for cutting only one wire, not both.)

For more tips and ideas, check out this thread by another fellow who had problems with his 2-8-0 Consolidation.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,7125.0.html

If it still does not run, let us know what you found and we can go over some more trouble shooting.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

Dear "Grand",

You wrote "The engine did not run well".  Can you please explain the "symptoms?"

What is the brand/part number of the decoder?

Also, be sure the female plugs from the locomotive are completely inserted into the male terminal pins on the tender front.  You may just have a loose connection.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

If all else fails, you can remove the bachmann board and hard wire the decoder in. I have an rxtra tender for my connie that died after I clipped the capacitor. It works great now Without the bachmann board. The connectors from the engine are wired as follows: 2 wire plug comes from the left and right drivers, the 4 wire plug are for the motor and the headlight. I used a light bulb to check what was hot and not with the tender and loco on the track with about 6 volts going through.