News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Who can help me?

Started by juvasquezy, November 19, 2008, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juvasquezy

I´m a beginner and I want to know if I can install a decoder on my old DC locos.
Thanks for your help

Guilford Guy

What loco are you installing it in?
Typically the red wire goes to the right pickup, and the black to the left pickup. The orange wire goes to the right motor lead, and the gray the left. The Blue wire is the common wire for the headlight, and rear light, with the white wire being the other wire to solder the headlight to, and the yellow the rear light. Some models use the frame as a motor lead, so if this is the case, you will have to isolate the motor from the frame.
Alex

richG

We need more information. Make, diesel, steam, etc? One thing for sure, isolating one motor brush that connects to the loco frame. Do you want sound also?

Rich

Running Bear

Loco makes and designs are as varied as the colors on cabooses. Some old locos can be converted rather easily, some others can be difficult but not impossible while some are impossible or not worth wasting your time on. The oldest loco in my collection that I've converted is a Bachmann GP40 that I bought in Germany in the mid 70's. I also remotored it and fitted it with new trucks. All this made the conversion much easier. Would I do it again? Probably not.
Running Bear