News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need help with Decoder and engine.

Started by corey9212, November 23, 2008, 04:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corey9212

Hello, I have 2 Proto 2000 Series GP38-2 Locomotives (wich says they are DCC ready) and I installed the TCS DP5X decoder in them, I put them on the track and select locomotive 03 and turned the power to the track on there was a short burst of light from the headlights then they went out. The locomotive still moves and the number lights and cab lights work but the forward and reverse lights don't work at all (I think they burnt out.) Plus when in reverse I get the engine moving then move the controll to zero and put it in neutral but the engine keeps creaping backwards and will continue untill I move the switch to forward and give it a bit of throttle and put it back to zero then it will stop. I have never experienced anything like this before. I have 2 AC4400's that work perfectly. So for the two questions, I have LED's that I want to install but don't know how to do it (what wires do what) and what could cause the locomotive to creap when the throttle is at zero and only in reverse, and what can I do to fix it? There is no model railroad club in or around my area and there is no dealer in or near my area to help me.

Sorry for all the questions, I am really new at this and the learning curve for me is really steep.
Thanks in advance.

Corey.

Guilford Guy

Bulbs in P2k's need to be replaced. LED's are probably best. I haven't yet installed a decoder in my GP30, but I think the wires to the bulbs are held in with those plastic clip thingies.
Alex

corey9212

ok, my next question is there are 4 bulbs (2 for lights, 1 for numbers on the back and 1 for the cab) the number and cab lights still work so I just need to replace the head and tail lights with LED's, the LED's that I have come with resistors what color wire does the resistor go to and what color wire does the other end go to?

Thanks again in advance.

Guilford Guy

Resisters go to White/Yellow. Blue is the common wire for lighting on a decoder.
Alex

Running Bear

Blue is the common positive (+). White and yellow are both negative (-). You'll most likely need a resistor inline with the LED. BTW, the long leg on the LED is positive.
Running Bear

corey9212

There is no blue wire, I have 3 small diagrams that I tried to upload so people can see what I'm faced with but when I click post I get a message saying I am unable to upload my pic's. So if anyone wants to see them then let me know with an email and I will send them to you (something doesn't look right in the wiring on the locomotive and that makes me think where the problem is.)

Jim Banner

Corey, it is a bit difficult to ask for the diagrams by email when you have your email address hidden.  So I will ask you here to please send them to me.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

corey9212

ok, sorry about the hidden email (I didn't check to see if it was) also I found in another forum that my suspicions were right, the default wireing is screwed up.