26"R circle tangent to straight track using L & R EZ-Track turnouts

Started by PJM, November 29, 2008, 04:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJM

Working with Bachmann gray EZ-Track, I'm looking to create a 360 degree 26" radius circlular section of track tangent to a straight section.  The turnouts off the straight section will be made by connecting the singe end of a #5 L turnout to the single end of a #5 R turnout.     

1. Since the turnouts include a short straight eazement section - I expect that the loop will require some other segments in combination with standard 26" radius sections.  What combination & quantity of gray EZ-Track segments are needed to create a 26" R circle connecting to the turnout eazements?

2. Is a dimensioned layout drawing available for the EZ-Track #5 turnout?

3. I understand tha the straight side of the #5 turnout is 11 1/2 " length?

4. Is the curved portion of the #5 turnout equal to (replaceable) by any particular standard curved segment of track?  (30 degree 18"R ?)

thank you

onof tracks are needed to

Joe Satnik

Dear PJM,

According to John Armstrong's "Track Planning for Realistic Operation" book,  a #5 turnout has a frog angle of 11.4 degrees.  Assuming that the divergent route continues straight off the frog, the departure angle of the divergent route would also be 11.4 degrees. 

This does not guarantee that Bachmann made their turnout precisely 11.4 degrees departure angle, and for unknown reasons, they won't tell us what it actually is.

Assume it's close enough to 12 degrees to work with the following pieces:

Add a 6 degree 33-1/4"R curve off the divergent route of each #5 turnout.  12 + 6 = 18 degrees, which matches your 26" radius curve pieces.  Add 9 more 26"R curves to each turnout to get a semi-circle on each side.

I calculate the gap between the semi-circles to be 7". 

Option 1: Fill that gap with one 3" plus two 2" straights.

Option 2: Widen that gap to 9" by placing a 2" straight between the single (or "points") ends of your turnouts, then use a regular 9" straight to fill it. 

Note that the 2" straights, critical to almost every EZ-Track configuration for gap filling, are only available in the new 90 degree crossing package.

Ask the Bach-Man to make these 2" straights available separately.

Hope this helps.

Free The 2" Straights !! (FT2"S !)

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 

edit: change "Bachmann" to "Bach-Man"
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

PJM

Joe,

Thanks for your quick and considerate response.  This is helpful.  It also confirms that what I'm trying to do is in fact not straight forward and will take a bit of finessing.  With your insight as a place to start - I think I can make it work.  If needed, I can easily enough make a 2" segment by cutting and splicing a longer segment.

For a number of years I've been annually setting up atlas HO using flex track hot glued onto foamcore base to run around the christmas tree (the 26" R loop) with extensions then going around the living room, under furniture, and for a few years also splitting off to run through/around my son's room.  After a number of years of dismantling, reassembling, stepping/tripping on the track and annually modifying the layout - I'm looking this year to start from scratch.  The snap together ez-track appears to be a simpler more robust alternative.   

Thank you

Joe Satnik

Dear PJM,

It's possible that EZ-Track could survive a being stepped on by a light person with a soft soled shoe, but a sideways kick or tripping over the track would probably snap something off. 

Compare the costs of both methods (flex vs. EZ-Track) with the risk of damage in mind. 

Hope this helps.

FT2"S !

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.