News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Newbe needs HELP!

Started by Joe B, December 03, 2008, 04:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe B

I have a G gage 4-6-0  Royal Blue train set.

The front truck on this loco is the power takeoff. I am not happy with the design since the entire truck is held on by the 2 wires. Not only that, there is a spring pushin against all this.  That is fine when the engine is on the track but if you hold it right side up, you are asking for trouble.

MY PROBLEM is with the plastic piece that the two wires come up through.  This piece also keeps the 2 pices of spring steel from touching each other.  MY PROBLEM is that this plastic piece is broken. 

Does anyone know how I can find the part number for this part so that I can order a new one.  OR..... Is it Possible to order the entire truck assembly?

Any help appreciated.

SteamGene

Are you the first owner?  If so, it should be under warranty.  Any any event, your best bet is to contact Service by phone on your dime and talk to them.  Contact information is in the loco's box and on this website.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

I suspect Joe might have bought it used.  All too many owners have "tightened up" this screw which is meant to be a bit loose, only to distort and/or break the plastic and cause the pony truck to bind.

Fortunately, the pony wheels are NOT the only power pickups.  The first and last drivers also pick up power which is picked off the wheel rims by spring loaded bullets.  Many owners, myself included, snip off the wires to the pony truck the first time they strip where they pass through the washer above the truck spring, shorting the whole thing out.  The locomotive runs about as well with these connections.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Joe B

No, I purchased this new BUT many years ago and do not have any proof of purchase so warranty is out.

Jim,  you mentioned a screw in this assembly.  There is none on this loco.  That's why I said it was a poor design. If I clipped the wires the whole assembly would come off.

Please give me a little more detail on your "FIX".  Like I said, I am a newbe.  I had the train for years but it has been a Christmas thing for the grand children.

SteamGene

Joe,
Based on my dealings with Bachmann, if you call them and explain the whole situation, they will work with you.  It may cost you something about $25, but I'll bet you will be satisfied.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

the Bach-man

Dear Joe,
Take Gene's advice- give service a call.
Have fun
the Bach-man