News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hayes Bumper missing track joiner?

Started by Neo Fender, December 31, 2008, 05:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neo Fender

Hi.

I have a new HO Digital Commander set.  The Hayes Bumper did not have a joiner attached, nor do I see space around the first couple of ties for one to slip in.  Is this correct?

Yampa Bob

Hi Neo

I am looking at Hayes Bumpers, item #44591, and you are correct, there are no rail joiners, just the usual plastic aligning pins and locking lugs. An electrical connection is not required since it is the "end of the line".

Have fun. 
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

the Bach-man

Dear Neo,
Moreover, if the elecrical connection is made, it will result in a dead short.
Happy New Year!
the Bach-man

CNE Runner

Mr. Bach Man is absolutely correct...attaching both rails to the bumper will result in a short (Can you tell I've been there?). I only use a rail joiner on one side of the bumper and glue a thin piece of styrene on the other. The styrene can be trimmed to match the rail profile and will disappear when you paint/weather the rails. I strongly suggest that you put either an insulated rail joiner or a piece of styrene on the side opposite the metal rail joiner (and not leave an air space) as thermal expansion may cause the bumper rail and the siding rail to touch - resulting in that short to which Bach Man (and I) were referring.

Happy modeling,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Yampa Bob

I seldom disagree with anyone unless it's a safety issue, but in this case I have to make an exception.

I just tested a couple of new #44591 bumpers, and there is no short between the two rails.  The angle braces are metal, however the bumper separating the braces is plastic.

Moreover, on my previous EZ Track layout, I connected two bumper sections with rail joiners on both ends, with wires and switches to power/isolate sidings, and never had a short.

Think about it, would Bachmann make the bumper section so it would cause a short if the rail ends touched, without a warning label?  Perhaps earlier versions had a metal bumper which created a short between the braces and rails, but the ones I have do not, so I may have upgraded versions. 

Also, if you look closely, the first tie on the bumper is notched to receive the single permanent joiner on a straight section, plus an additional joiner on the other rail if desired. 

Moral: Every modeler needs an ohmmeter.  8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.