News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

IHC's Mikado

Started by Michael J. Caboose, November 02, 2008, 11:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael J. Caboose

Hey everyone. I'm slowly building up my roster of UP steam, and I've always wanted a Mike (partially because my name is Mike, naturally), and I can't really seem to find what I'm looking for. I don't want to use ebay, as I've had bad luck on there. As I've looked around, it seems my only real option is an IHC Mike. I found one it for $99, in NYC livery, and it's DCC ready. I'm not worried about detailing, as I like to add details myself, and I plan to repaint/re-letter it for UP. And I'm not too worried about the operation, as I've had good sessions with the newer DCC-ready IHC locomotives.

Well, long story short, I just would like to know if the Mike from IHC is USRA light or heavy? If it's light then I'll pull the trigger on it.

Also, I just got in a Connie from Bachmann (in UP livery of course) and I love it. But does anyone know of any details that should be added or removed to make it more like the prototype UP Connie?

Thank you all  :)

Frisco

The new IHC locomotives are great. They run as good or better than Spectrum and if you don't mind adding details then they are even better. They are a light Mikado. Also for $175 you can get the BLI Blueline light Mikado these are really great and come in Union Pacific. They also come with sound and are DCC ready. Both are great locomotives. http://www.factorydirecttrains.com/bluelinelightmikado.aspx

Yampa Bob

Mike
USTrains has the Rio Grande version:

http://www.ustrainco.com/Loco-St-2-8-2-Mikado.htm

Rio Grande/Southern Pacific was acquired by UP, so I model all three railroads.

I have 4 UP Connies, they look great out of the box, very smooth runners.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Michael J. Caboose

Thanks for the in put guys.  8)

For the drawbar problems, my layout at the moment isn't really a layout. Its really just a start to a sectional layout planned in the future. I'm currently working on the servicing terminal (sans roundhouse/turntable, too expensive) so there won't be anything tighter then a #6 turnout. And once it expands, I have nothing shorter then a 26" radius planned anywhere. But I'll definitely have to check that drawbar out, if I do make the purchase.

Thanks for the reminder on the BLI Mikes, I almost forgot about them. I'll look into them, and will consider what to do when the next paycheck comes in  ;) I only have the Connie and a 4000, quite a gap in the roster in terms of power and I'd like a Mike, then maybe an Athearn FEF, to balance it all out. And to fill in the tracks at the service terminal, when finished.

SteamGene

I can check, but I don't think the UP had any USRA Mikados.  Harriman, yes. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

SteamGene

I was wrong.  UP did have USRA light Mikados as the original owner and may ordered copies as well.
BTW, I have several of the new IHC steamers, starting with their C&O shopped USRA heavy Mountain and they are all good. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

pdlethbridge

If you want a challenge, try a Bowser USRA light mike kit ( deluxe kit is $135 from Paws trains )
http://bowser-trains.com/holocos/usra_light_mikado/usra_light_mikado.htm