Quick question on Bachmann K4 with sound (or any tsnami equipped bachmann)

Started by Matthew Ginkel, December 14, 2008, 10:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew Ginkel

Does the dynamo sound stay on after its turned on, in videos ive seen the headlight on but no dynamo sound. If im correct i hear that one of the functions mutes the sound or something. Can anyone clarify.

richG

Have you looked at the Bachmann DCC Quick start guide? There is a CV for control.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/documents/manuals/Bachmann%20Quick%20Start%20Guide.pdf

I have a Spectrum that I put a Micro-Tsunami into myself and the dynamo sound is always on.

Rich

db22

My Tsunami runs on EZ Command and only the short horn is not a continuous command. I.E. all sounds will continue until turned off except the short blast. This includes the dynamo.

lmackattack

I have a Heavy Mountain with a TSU-1000 installed.

I set the cv to have the dynamo on only when the head light is on.  when I turn the dynamo on the headlight slowly comes up. It also dims out when I turn it off. this is all set up thru the F0 function (headlight function) From what I know the dynamo charges batterys and gives power for headlights etc... I think they ran off of steam press. almost like a turbocharger takes exhaust and converts it into rotational motion. it could be making power when the train was not moving. if the loco is in passenger service i would think the dynamo is always on as it may have supplied power for some of the lights..in freight servce or when parked on a siding it might have been shut down to save steam, unless it was up stream in the draft and did not waste steam to be on al lthe time?

trent

Mouse

The dynamo is used to power lights and any other electricial needs on the Locomotive(headlights, marker lights, cab lights, and on more modern engines, Radio). It does run off steam. It does not suppy power to the cars. Most cars in steam era had batteries and an axle driven generator. Early ones uesd large leather belts, later used multiple rubber belts like found in a car. More modern cars had shaft driven generators. All this before Head End Power.