Is there DCC for switches ?

Started by rjamesgr, December 06, 2008, 11:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjamesgr

Can you use the DCC control panel to change switches on the layout?

pdlethbridge

Depending on your system, you could. I have 3 Digitrax ds-64 set up to operate my atlas code 83 switch machines. Each ds-64 will handle 8 switch machines. It is run by my hand held NCE power cab

Hunt

Yes, but it depends as pdlethbridge wrote, you can use DCC to control turnouts.

You need three components,
  1. A switch machine connected to turnout
  2. A stationary type DCC decoder connected to switch machine compatible with the type switch machine used.
  3. A DCC system capable of addressing the type DCC decoder used. Same DCC system will be used to control the locomotives.

Some DCC systems have Route Control that will, using a single address, line the route a train takes through multiple turnouts. You can set up control for different routes.

pdlethbridge

The DS-64's have that capability. The ds-64's can be programmed to run slow motion machines like the tortoise or switchmaster, but the default is solenoid type. As the ds-64 is a stationary decoder, it should be powered by its own wall wart. This will leave more power for your cab control to run trains.

Hunt

In addition, the Digitrax DS64 Stationary Decoder works only with a DCC system that has turnout control. Not all DCC systems have the turnout control feature,