News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

run away

Started by pdlethbridge, December 04, 2008, 03:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdlethbridge

I had a run away the other day. Hitting the stop button on my NCE power cab did nothing. I couldn't punch in the numbers fast enough and thought I was going to loose my connie. I had just put Hayes (Walther's ) bumpers at the end of each siding, good thing too. The connie hit it and stopped dead, wheels were still spinning but the engine wasn't going anywhere. Had the bumper not been there, its momentum would have carried it over the mainline and off a 3 foot cliff into concrete gulch. Those bumpers are great. Stopped it dead in its tracks.

Bill Baker

Ahh yes, the old concrete gulch.  I, too, have lost some engines to the dreaded gulch.  My latest loss was a Bachmann Spectrum 4-6-0 that took the plunge. The side rods were bent beyond my ability to straighten them. So, one of my favorite steamers is sitting on the siding looking pitiful.  I think I know the answer, but would anyone know if Bachmann would replace it with an accompanying check?

Bill
Bill

bevernie

;D        SURE!!      BACHMANN can fix ANYTHING!!
                                                                                    THANX!!
                                                  :o                                 Ernie
                                                  8)
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: pdlethbridge on December 04, 2008, 03:50:48 AM
I had a run away the other day. Hitting the stop button on my NCE power cab did nothing. I couldn't punch in the numbers fast enough and thought I was going to loose my connie. I had just put Hayes (Walther's ) bumpers at the end of each siding, good thing too. The connie hit it and stopped dead, wheels were still spinning but the engine wasn't going anywhere. Had the bumper not been there, its momentum would have carried it over the mainline and off a 3 foot cliff into concrete gulch. Those bumpers are great. Stopped it dead in its tracks.

If you ask me, this sounds like a good reason to stick with DC. ...  ;)

Paul M.

Amen! Haven't heard of this before, but DCC systems have some unfortunate glitches.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

WGL

pdlethbridge,

You have provided another reason for me to keep my layout on the floor!  :o

Bill

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: WGL on December 05, 2008, 02:22:18 AM
pdlethbridge,

You have provided another reason for me to keep my layout on the floor!  :o

Bill

Of course, when rolling stock falls off the layout, it isn't the fall that does the damage. It's the abrupt stop at the end. ...  ;)

kevin2083

decelleration sickness
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Running Bear

Set the decoder to DCC only and you won't have those runaways.
Running Bear