News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

So here is my dilemma...

Started by NWsteam, December 05, 2008, 11:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWsteam

So being a college student this is a really hard time to be in this hobby. Lack of time and lack of funds being the major setbacks. I am really looking forward to this Christmas Break were I plan to spend much of my time in the basement. One thing that doesn't change, are my greedy little eyes. This time it's bad. I've been eyeballing brass... :o. I either want to purchase a N&W M class or a Hillcrest 25 ton shay. I know that if pay more for the M it will be a little nicer. If I pay less for the shay I'm going to put some money into it.(Paint it, Clean it, remoter possibly). I saw this on eBay and about had a heart attack...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110317163324&category=78178&_trksid=p2773.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D40%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D54
But like I said...funds are short and I think if I told my mother I spend my money on that instead of books she would skin me alive. Another choice would be the M1 for sale at Gunning's Hobbies. I have 18 and 22 curved radius to work with. Would that be too tight for an M? This might be just a big ramble, but I would still love your opinions.

-Brad

Yampa Bob

Caboose Hobbies in Denver has a huge selection of brass locomotives and cars. You might give them a call and see what they have either new or on consignment.

http://www.caboosehobbies.com/catalog/index_home.php

Would your mother believe you need a course in "Railroad Engineering"?  Then maybe  "Santa" will get the loco for you.  :D
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

ajp3751

The 4-8-0 was a rare breed, except on the N&W. I think it would be fine on 22" raduis curves. The real deal is #475 at strausburg pennsylvania. I guess your purchase depends on what you wish to pull. The 4-8-0 was a jack of all trades type but shays didn't have much mainline use, lots of logging and branches. It all depends on 1. how much money 2. your layout and how you want to use it 3. rarity (how often can you buy this at this price)

NWsteam

Bob...

I have looked at caboose hobbies and was impressed. I also so an E2a I might like too. What kind of radius do you think a pacific can handle? I'm thinking about giving "santa" a call.  ;D

ajp3751...

I would love to go to strausburg one day and catch a ride behind #475. The problem is my layout. Its a 6.5 by 8 foot. I have an inner track and an outer track. The inner track is the 18 radius curves and has no grade. The outer track is the 22 raduis curves and climbs a 4% grade. My Bachmann Shay and J handle it well as I worked extremely hard to make it a smooth grade. This is why I am torn between the shay and the M. I think the M would handle the grade with shorter train lengths. I am also thinking ahead to the future as I will probally try to build a layout based on the N&W.

Thanks for all your opinions!

-Brad

SteamGene

As a general rule, brass needs a larxger radius than plastic/pot metal.  For instance, I have a PFM model of a C&O K3 (heavy Mikado).  I'm not sure it will handle 30" radius curves.  The problem is not so much derailing as it is the tender and cab shorting out.  That may be solved by going to DCC. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

pdlethbridge

Brass is nice, but if you ever decide to go to DCC, you may have a problem. I don't recall seeing a brass engine that was DCC ready let alone DCC equipped. DCC is going like gang busters and is well worth the money spent on it. With a hand held controller I'm able to control my locos on the layout, control all my switch machines and control my turntable. No control panel, just a hand held. No wiring separate blocks anymore. Reverse loops are easy, just install an auto reverser. It does the job for you. Oh, did I say that this can all be done from a hand held controller.

NWsteam

I do operate in DCC. I'm not worried about it because guy at the hobby store down the road does DCC installations on brass locos.