can i run a 2-8-0 locomoyive on 18 in radius

Started by pokie, December 07, 2008, 09:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pokie

iam just starting in ho trains I think i might have jumped the gun I got the bachmann dcc explorer.  The trackit came with is 22 radius
I got the grand valley woodland scienc lay out to build. the track radius is 18in.
Can I still run my 2-8-0 explorer on this?

Frisco

Yes, it will run just fine although it won't look as good.

Hunt

A minimum of 22" radius curve track is recommended by Bachmann for the 2-8-0 locomotive with the cars in the train set.

Before you start building the Grand Valley layout, suggest you assemble part oval track plan using haft a circle of 18" radius curve track and sufficient straight track on each side to test run the train to see how the train will perform through the 18" radius curves.

Daylight4449

I've the 2-8-0 and it works fine. it is the passenger coaches that are a pain

lmackattack

I run 2-8-2 and 4-8-2 with 18" radius in the yard aeras of my layout with out issues.

just keep the track work good and all will be ok

SteamGene

Which 2-8-2?  Which 4-8-2?  Again, two locomotives with the same wheel arrangement may not handle the same curve.  Witness the Bachmann USRA light Mountain vs the Bachmann USRA heavy Mountain.  One takes 18 inch, the other doesn't.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

lmackattack

my Blueline heavy mike is a 2-8-2
and my Spectrum heavy mountain 4-8-2

both locos make the 18" radius in the yard area and in a section of track that climbs a grade to make it up and over itself. Obviously They perform better on 22" but I can leave them both running for hours and rarely have an issue. Track work is good and all tacked down to a solid base so that helps

trent

SteamGene

Uh - all Mikados are 2-8-2s and all Mountains are 4-8-2s.  The difference in models (and in the real ones) is the maker.  You are lucky that the Spectrum USRA heavy Mountain does well on 18 inch radius. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"