News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Custom track lengths

Started by cbloch, December 14, 2008, 04:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbloch

Can any one give me instructions (in order to custom fit the size of a loop of track) on shortening the length of a section of G-scale straight track?

SteamGene

Since this is a specific gauge question, you'd be better off asking this in the G gauge board.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Loco Bill Canelos

I usually use a rotary motor tool with a large metal cutting disk. I remove the ties from the rail first and then can get closer to the cut point.  After the cut is made I dress it with a fine file and reinstall the ties.  This works fine in all scales. but not for easy track, just the standard type stainless steel, brass or alminum track.

Some simply use a hack saw, but I find the motor tool to be fast and accurate. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Joe Satnik

If you want (perfect) G half straights, 4 are packaged with a G 90 degree crossing.

If you could find a glue or cement that works on the plastic ties, you could build a custom cut length of G track by cutting out of the middle and leaving the ends alone, not disturbing the black blades, rail connectors and slots under the end ties for clipping 2 track sections together. 

I  just "live with" half straights with one end undisturbed, and the other end hacked up.  Two rubber bands around the outside of the end ties keeps the cut end connected to the next track section.  Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik. 

PS..Does anyone know what type of plastic the ties are made of, and what type of glue or cement works on them?     

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

grumpy

Loco Bill
You can do it with EZ track . You have to ignore the tongue and do it as if it were flex track . I have done a number of custom fits on my layout. I have even spliced in  Life like  track.
You have to have ingenuity when building layouts .
Don ;)

Loco Bill Canelos

Don,

Good to know for the future.   You definitely need the old ingenuity alright.  I am only familiar with G Scale Track, cbloch did not say what track he or she had so I was just saying what I could.  I have all kind of ways to alter G Scale tracks, other than Bachmann steel G Scale track which I leave to Joe to answer!

Joe always has good answers on the Bachmann steel track!!!
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Joe Satnik

Dear Bill,

Thanks for the kind words.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

pdlethbridge

Is G scale too big for rail nippers? They leave a nice cut on ho track. Or maybe cutters like this
http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/pliers-cut-end/BET22

mhampton

You might get by with rail nippers if you're NOT trying to shorten Bachmann's G track.  It's hollow and would be deformed beyond use before you cut through it.  A hacksaw or cutting disc in a motor tool is the best bet.

jayl1

If using a Dremel (or any) cutting disk, USE SAFETY GLASSES!!!  The disks do shatter & fly!!

rperego

The Dremel disks work well, although if the cut isn't near the end of a section, the flexible extension helps to keep the disk square to the rail because it isn't as big around as the motor.   Or, cut the rail a tad long, and then cut it again so the motor doesn't prevent getting a square cut.