Serious Progress On My U36B -Bachmann Industries

Started by Santa Fe buff, October 29, 2008, 10:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa Fe buff

I found my paints today, and got the following at an art's and craft's store:

Testors Decal Kit- Liquid used to apply decals.

Testors Enamel Acrylic Paint- Rust

1 Tube of Non-Toxic Testors cement.

1 Pack of cement end narrows, makes a smaller trail of glue and less blobs.

Plus my already pretty fair collection of paints made it some great times with my undecorated GE U36B. I first removed the body from the base, and removed the cab. I painted all the way up to the end of the engine compartment, and down no further than the walking paths. I then re-coated some and painted harder areas. I then painted the nose and the area around the nose, such has walkways, steps, etc. a regular red. As the time past, I wanted to do more, but had to wait for drying. So I painted the black modeled tank bottom, and over the BACHMANN INDUSTRIES sign to get ride of those airbrush splats that the previous owner had made. He made it into a different road name with white and blue scheme, but removed the decals and paint, leaving some splats on the truck plastic covers and tank. The paint removed the splats, and that was that. Looking at photographs of other U-Boats (ATSF never really owned my modeling locomotive, so I just used the same scheme), I painted the the trucks silver, upon remembering that the locomotives in the ATSF bearing the Red/Silver warbonnet had silver trucks. They came out beautifully, they look more silver than my life-like EMD GP38-2 Blue/Yellow bonnet! After that, I painted one yellow strip on the main nose from the walkway to the end were the cab window split would be. I then painted the entire cab all red. After that, I studied a picture of a Blue/Yellow bonnet and copied the curves onto my model. I painted the bottom red strip, with the yellow strip on top. I've painted the rear reversing red lights red, and I'm currently getting a Sharpie  permanent marker to go sketch the black door insulation showing out that my finest brushes can't do, I'll just brush it around not making contact, and the insulation being higher, the marker will contact, making only the insulation black. I'm thinking of putting in lights, for this model runs on a truck engine, not a shaft one, I just have to connect two black wires, I'm thinking on buying some wire and bulbs and sharing the power for some head lights, cab lights, and taillights. Remember, don't expect the perfect line, I only have brushes that aren't even small, so I did what I could, and I think it look cool. I will seek out a "Santa Fe" logo kit for side lettering and nose decal. I'll report with any further information, I'll try to get a small camera for pictures, but I'll also have to get my parents to let me have a Photobucket account. 'Til next time! Bye! :)

- Joshua Bauer

Santa Fe buff

UPDATE:

Finished second warbonnet and features, now scanning for decal kits...
- Joshua Bauer

Frisco

Santa Fe buff

I'm currently also trying to get paid back my $25.00 so I can buy a cheap camera... ;D
- Joshua Bauer

Santa Fe buff

- Joshua Bauer

Paul M.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Santa Fe buff

Believe it or not. I've actually have the rear indicators (The red lights) on the back painted red, and it looks stunningly good. I've even surprised myself. Too bad I decided to use the flash. All my pictures came out perfectly indoors except ones with flash! :o

I painted the yellow strip on the nose, this is going to be a freight engine. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to paint the number display bar that also holds the top headlights yellow too or not?

Josh

EDIT: You can see I still need both "Santa Fe" decals for the side and the circle-cross for the front. Also, I need those Bachmann handrails... They are specially designed, for they also have the side storage boxes and front details embedded in them. Without them, my locomotive is uneven and has huge holes. It also lacks major detail too.
- Joshua Bauer

Paul M.

Take your photos outdoors or without the flash, for better pics.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific