News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-4 Niagara Steam Loco HO derailing

Started by Helnermjma, December 25, 2008, 10:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helnermjma

Just got my Son a DCC 4-8-4 Niagara for Christmas and have had a lot of problems with the engine/coal car derailing on turns and sometimes on the turn outs.  We have Bachmann easy track with 18" curves.  Is anyone running this engine with 18" R curves successfully?  We run smaller engines without any trouble with the turns?

the Bach-man

Dear Heln,
Check the gauge and side to side movement on the tender wheels. A littl lube on the axle ens may help as well.
Merry Christmas!
the Bach-man

lmackattack

that is a borderline radius for a large engine like that. I can run 4-8-2 and 2-8-2 on 18" radius but the 4-8-2 does not like the tight turns. I had to do alot of little tweaks to get it around the 18" sections. your Niagra is a larger engine than mine is . 22" would be alot better IMO

pdlethbridge

The Niagra comes with a 14 wheel centipede tender. That's the problem. Bigger curves and switches needed for that baby.

djp

If you are using the regular Bachmann turnouts you are going to have alot of problems. I don't know if all manufacturers give the same problems but boy do i have pains. You will have to keep tweeking, filing, bending every part of that turnout to get all your engines to go through them smoothly.
Get Off My Train !!!

hotrainlover

I had a similar problem with my Niagara.  The solution was to put a steel washer on the lead truck, between the spring and the flat part of the truck.  I filed the washer, (almost square) painted it black, to conceal it.  I have had no more problems...

Hope this helps....