News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Handcar motor

Started by jbgw, December 18, 2008, 05:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbgw

After a few years of seasonal use the motor in my Christmas handcar (large scale) stopped working. I disassembled the unit and found that the motor winding was coming off of the armature.
Short story is I need a new motor.
Any help out there?

Jon D. Miller

Contact Bachmann Service.  They may be able to provide the motor you need.  Or have you send the unit in for repair.

Call, don't bother with e-mail, 1-215-533-1600.  Ask for Regina or Irvin in the Service Department.

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

jbgw

I have sent an email which was not replied to and left a voice mail with the customer service department at 9 AM today and the call was not returned.
Will have to try again tomorrow.
Thanks for the input. Will try the phone number you provided.

glennk28

If it is the yellow one with the flat motor, probably cannot be fixed.  They might offer a trade?? The gray ones are the newer ones.  I don't know what distinguishes the Santa cars.  gj

Loco Bill

I have the data on how to tell the difference between all the handcar versions, but I am away from home and my data sheets on the handcars!

If there is any interest I will post the info after I get back home.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

jbgw

Thanks for chiming in.
This is item number 96241.
The car is white. I am wondering if a motor swap for the time being is do-able with the grey car. I have one of those as well.

jbgw

Got through to the service department. I was able to order the motor block for $20+$5 shipping. Not bad.
Unfortunately for their customer service this is the same item which I was told was not in stock and not for sale in any case by another person there.
Thanks for the direct phone #.

Loco Bill

I found some of my data and can tell you this much 96241 came in red or white!  The white is the latest with the better motor and gearing. although better than the red and even earlier green one they have never been great runners.  There may be an "M" after the number, which was found on most of the improved units.

Hopefully you can get a new motorand fix it yourself rather than sending it to Bachmann. Since yours is older than one year you would still have to pay the current service charge plus pay shipping to Bachmann.  This may not be a very economical option.

I made some comments in another thread on the general forum!

Cheers.
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Loco Bill

I missed your good news while typing my last response.  Glad you got the motor block!!  It is always best to get a hold of service, rather than any other department. and it is always best to use 1-215-533-1600 which Jon provided!!

Cheers & Beers!!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

glennk28

A suggestion for Bachmann--next revision of the handcar, make it with a 1.5 volt motoe and power it with a AA or possibly C cell under the  trailer car.    gj