News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound decoders

Started by Michael J. Caboose, December 27, 2008, 02:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael J. Caboose

I haven't been able to find the answer for this question anywhere. Will sound decoders like the Tsunami work on DC? Or will they only work on DCC? My only sound experience is a BLI Blueline Mike with the DC Master and I want sound, but I don't need DCC just yet. Anyone?

richG

This has been discussed here a few times. Yes, many decoders work on DC. They are called dual mode decoders. Bachmann do work on DC.

Rich

Michael J. Caboose

Thank you for the response. I understand that there are dual mode decoders, but, specifically, are there dual mode sound decoders? Can I just plug in a sound decoder and not a DCC decoder? I was thinking of putting a Tsunami heavy steam into my Rivarossi Big Boy, and if I could do that without having to jump to DCC yet, it'd save me some trouble. Thanks.

richG

As fas as I know, there are no dual mode sound only decoders available.

The Tsunami is a control and sound decoder that is dual mode. I have the Micro-Tsunami in my steam locos. These may be available in other brands. Do not know. Look at the below site and look at the links also in the site. There is a LOT of stuff available when you go to DCC. The manual will tell you about using the decoder with DC. It is not, Plug & Play. Do a lot of reading on DCC and how it is used with DC. Some of the sound capabilities are are not as good as when the decoder is used on DC versus DCC.
When you step into the digital age, things can get quite complex.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/products/dcc/tsunamidecoders.htm

Try to look at the many different postings in the General Discussion and HO discussions. May times the answers will be there from other posters. If you depend only on your messages, you will be missing information that could apply to your situation. As an example, Yampa Bob post good technical information at times that some members completely miss. You can then become more valuable to the modeling community instead of concentrating only on yourself. Oh, patience is needed.

Rich

Yampa Bob

Hi Mike, welcome back. Did you get your other problems worked out?

I recently installed a Tsunami in an AC4400 diesel, took about 30 minutes, totally plug and play. I have been running it on DCC, but just now checked it on DC power.

First, on DCC (I have EZ Command)...When I first place it on the tracks, there is no sound until I apply AC power to the controller.  (always turn AC power to the controller off before placing or removing a locomotive) Then I hear a slight click as the decoder acknowledges it is ready to receive information. Default for the decoder is sound on, lights off.

Turn the throttle barely up from the stop and the starter motor engages and the engine comes to life. First it revs up then settles into a nice idle. A little more throttle and the engine revs up a bit, then starts to move. More throttle, higher revs and speed.  With EZ Command I have control of lights off/on/dim, bell, long horn (stays on until button is pushed again), short horn (momentary).  If I turn the throttle all the way down, sound stays on and engine stays at slow idle, or turn the sound completely off with Function 8. F10 turns lights on, F7 dims the lights. When on, lighting is directional, headlight forward, taillight reverse.

I know you want to stay DC for now, but gave above details anyway so you know what you're missing.  :D

On DC Power....Takes about 1/4 throttle to get engine sound, a bit more before it moves. Throttle response and speed are slightly reduced. Engine revs up according to throttle, headlight forward, taillight reverse. Other sounds are unaccessible. When throttle is turned all the way down, no sound as track power is off.  You hear the decoder click again as it says "Goodbye for now". 

That's about it. The Tsunami runs just fine on DC. My suggestion is to install the Tsunami now, then when you make the switch you will be set to go.  With Tsunami steam, you will have synchronized  chuff and directional lighting on DC power.

If you're undecided about controllers, why not pick up an EZ Command now, about $80, then you can really enjoy the sounds until you're ready for more features. The longer I use EZ Command, the more I like it.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WGL

Quote from: Yampa Bob on December 27, 2008, 09:22:37 PMFrankly I don't understand BLI's "Sound Only" decoders for DC, and having to upgrade again when you switch to DCC. 

Bob,

I didn't have to upgrade the sound decoder in my BLI DC Heavy Mikado.  I just plugged in a $28 Digitrax DN1431P DCC plug & play decoder to enable the E-Z Command to control speed, direction, lights & sounds like the bell & whistle.
Bill

WGL

Quote from: Yampa Bob on December 27, 2008, 09:22:37 PMI recently installed a Tsunami in an AC4400 diesel, took about 30 minutes, totally plug and play.

Bob,

I'd like to install sound in a Spectrum SD-45 diesel.  What did your installation cost?  Did you put the speaker in the fuel tank?
  Wasn't your AC4400 stored for Christmas?

Bill

Michael J. Caboose

Thank you for the replies. My knowledge of DCC is fairly advance. I have a few books on wiring for DCC and I know how it all works. Its just that I only have a small module that I'm putting on display at an upcoming train show, and I don't need DCC just yet until it expands a bit. I just want to have the startup/idle sounds of locomotives. If Tsunami can give me that on DC, then perfect.

And yes, Yampa, I had gotten my problems sorted out. The Connie runs wonderfully, thank you.

Yampa Bob

Bill
I got the two AC4400 for my birthday last month. For Christmas I got a GE 44 Ton.

I'll write you later about the Tsunami installation. I need to look up the speaker and baffle part numbers first.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WGL

Bob,
That's allowed for birthdays.

I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience adding sound to a Spectrum DCC diesel.

Bill