News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Magnetic uncouplers

Started by robman, December 18, 2008, 01:39:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robman

G'day everyone. Haven't been on for a while as I've been away working (I'm a tour driver/guide) so I can earn money so I can afford to play trains. Any way now I'm home for a while (three weeks holiday) I want to get on with something I've been thinking about for a while now and that is making my own under track electro-magnetic uncouplers. I want to make quite a few of these and as I enjoy making stuff I thought that I'd give it a go. Has anyone else had a crack at making these or does anyone know of a book or site I could go to get some info.
   When I figure out how to put photos on this site and I get my turntable finished I'll put it up for you all to see. Home made 18" with full indexing and automatic selected track stop.Anyway, thanks for any info in advance. Cheers, Rob the Kiwi.
Modeling over there over here

Joe Satnik

Dear Rob,

The ultimate uncoupler
Model Railroader, January 2000 page 109
Build a hidden electromagnetic uncoupler
( ELECTROMAGNETIC, KADEE, "MOORE, BILLY WAYNE",  SCRATCHBUILD, UNCOUPLER, CONSTRUCTION, N, MR )

Some model train clubs keep a library of old MR mags.  Our (statewide) public library (system) has them.

http://www.aglasshalffull.org/article-uncouplers.html

Or, google "electromagnetic uncouplers".

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Woody Elmore

In the late 70es, a club I belonged to used electromagnets. They got steel plate, bolts and magnet wire and made their own - based on an article in Model Railroader. They worked fine if you remembered where they were!

They reverted back to the flat Kadee magnets which were installed in the roadbed and covered with ties and ballast. The electromagnets required somebody to make them, install them and wire them. The Kadee under ballast magnets were much easier to use.

NelsOn-30

Dear Rob and the other 80+ readers of this thread.

G'day and hello.

Another article on electromagnet uncoupler construction is in Railroad Model Craftsman, 1997 October Pge.  58. This article is N scale but I am sure it can be scaled up to HO.

The advantage of electromagnetic uncouplers is the elimination of accidental uncoupling that can occur with fixed permanent magnets.

I have seen a commercial product that moves a magnet vertically within a plastic sleeve.

Another magazine article gives details to construct a drop magnet using a homemade hinge, fishing line, and a simple push rod. See Model Railroader 1997 October Pge. 92. Magnets available from Radio Shack were used.  I have purchased the same magnets in Canada from Princess Auto.

LED's buried in the ballast could be switched on to show uncoupler locations.

Merry Christmas
Nelson

Notka Lake Logging & Navigation RR

CNE Runner

Never liked uncoupling magnets and never will...however: the December 2008 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman had an interesting article on uncoupling magnets using small button units. I like to use the never-fail skewer method so I didn't really read the article all that closely. Try to get a copy of the magazine and see if it fits your needs. I hope this helps.
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Paul M.

Has anyone used the Dec. 2008 method of uncoupling yet? i'm building a layout, and it seems that that these would be pretty useful if they worked as advertised.....

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

robman

Afternoon  all, well it is over here at the moment. Thanks to all of you who replied to my post regarding electrio-magnetic uncouplers. I will be following up on all the advice and see where it gets me and which way I'll go. I do like the one with the sliding magnet in a plastic tube, I must tell you it's really got me thinking.
The only reason I want to do this is because I'm lazy and although my layout is only 8'x4' there are some areas which will be on the other side or between buildings where I wish to drop cars without me moving.
  Sorry to have been so long in replying but I'm on holiday at the moment and it's lovely at the beach this time of year. Happy modeling and thanks once again. Rob.   
Modeling over there over here