News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locos Won't Work - Please Help!

Started by modelrailroadrookie, December 30, 2008, 06:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

modelrailroadrookie

I've spent the past 3 hours trying to get my new DCC Digital Commander set to work but have not had any luck.

I am able to program new addresses for the two locomotives that come with the set (I set them to addresses 1 and 2) and got the typical slight movement on the track when doing so. However, they will not run on their current programmed addresses or any other addresses that I program them to. I've tried changing the addresses for both several times, unplugged the DCC several times, and have checked all of the track several times, but they still won't run.

It seems power is being sent to them since I'm able to program their addresses and they respond when I do so, but they won't budge after that.

Please help!

Hunt

You don't need multiple posts. Please delete your first post.

Hope you followed this note in the instructions.

NOTE: DO NOT CONNECT THE E-Z COMMAND CONTROL CENTER TO THE WALL PACK POWER SUPPLY UNTIL YOU HAVE MADE THE CONNECTIONS FROM THE CONTROL CENTER TO YOUR TRACK.

If you made the electrical connections in the correct sequence then

Try this ... unplug the Wall Power Supply from the electrical outlet.
Wait five minutes and plug Wall Power Supply back into the electrical outlet.

Without any locomotive on the track do the following,
   1.  Turn control knob up to about half  and back to zero
   2.   Press button 3
   3.  Keeping button 3 depressed, press and release the STOP button
   4.  Release button 3 - the Power LED should now be flashing quickly

Carefully add one locomotive to track. Make sure all wheels are properly on track.
Now
    5.  Press and release the button for the address you want to assign the locomotive - the locomotive moves slightly to indicate its response (you may not notice the movement) and the power LED is now flashing slowly.
    6.  Press and release the STOP button to exit programming.

Press another address button. Now press the button for the address you just assign. Does the locomotive now move when you turn the control knob?

If not return entire set to the dealer from which it was purchased for replacement.

modelrailroadrookie

Sorry about the double posting. For a moment I thought my first posting disappeared. I just removed it.

I tried everything you said a few times but the locomotives still won't move. They do move when I assign them numbers but don't move after that.

Looks like I'll be heading back to Train World tomorrow. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Hunt

You are welcome. Sorry I was not able to help you. Troubleshooting is limited without hands on the equipment.

modelrailroadrookie

Quote from: Hunt on December 30, 2008, 08:52:38 PM
You are welcome. Sorry I was not able to help you. Troubleshooting is limited without hands on the equipment.

Just an update on what was wrong with the train set: I brought the set back to Train World yesterday and the owner there was very helpful in figuring out the problem. He had me come behind the counter to test out both engines as well as the DCC controller. It turns out one of the engines was not working at all. The reason I couldn't get the other good engine to work was because the controller wasn't working either. The owner swapped out both the engine and DCC and everything worked fine after that.

Thanks again for your help. It has certainly helped me in figuring out how to program engines to new addresses on the DCC.

Happy New Year!

Hunt

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear you have acquired things that are now working as they should.

The procedure, in this thread, I had you try is not the normal procedure you should be using to assign an address to a decoder using the E-Z Command Control Center. Please use the procedure in the instruction with the product or http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ezcommand.php?ezpage=1