News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Engine

Started by Mike_AA9ZY, December 30, 2008, 06:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_AA9ZY

My wife bought me a OF Forney that's sound-equipped, and I really love it.

So far I have a Forney and Climax, both equipped with sound.

The question I would like answered is this:

Does Bachman intend to offer more engines with sound?

BTW, both of those Bachmann engines blow my BLI 2-8-0 clean away for sound effects.

the Bach-man

Dear Mike,
We'll see the new announcements in February. like you, I hope there will be more sound.
Happy New Year!
the Bach-man

rayport

How about adding the sound decoders as an after market item? Bachmann already sell the non-sound decoders this way so it would be nice for those of us on a budget to be able to buy the silent version and later add sound to those engines that come with an 8 pin plug.

Tomcat

Rayport,

this would be great.

But we need to keep in mind, that the Sound decoders are manufactured by Soundtraxx in Durango for Bachmann. I would suggest, the Soundtraxx people would rather love to cover this by themselves. Most sounds, take the Forney for example, are available in Tsunami decoders from Soundtraxx too...

DonĀ“t know if we can expect something like that - even when I would love to have this option... ;) ;)

Cheers, Tom ;)

Mike_AA9ZY

If Soundtraxx does offer aftermarket sound, will the Bachmann decoder have to be removed? Is there a daughter board socket on the Bachmann decoder?

I would prefer buying the engine with sound as an option, not an add-on item.

C.S.R.R. Manager

I agree with Rayport,  it would be cool to offer a plug-n-play sound option for On30 locos.  It would incorporate the sound card and a high-quality pre-wired speaker and enclosure.  Installation would have to be easy, just remove this, plug this in, snap in the speaker, and off you go.  No soldering, no tinkering.  The locos could then be sold as DCC installed, DC-ready, sound-ready, and you would avoid the problem of having sound and non-sound locos on the shelf.

Tomcat

Mike,

regarding the Soundtraxx aftermarked sound option: The Bachmann decoder can be removed, the Soundtraxx decoder will cover sound and control. There is no such daughter board socket as it is used on various big scale decoders.

Agree with the C.S.R.R. Manager and Rayport -it would be great to have a easy install decoder for a straightforward job. Even it would make it much easier if Soundtraxx would agree to make ready install decoders with the 8pin connector already attached.

Kind regards, Tom :)

hminky

The large Soundtraxx decoder has a removable JST harness. The shrink wrap has to be peeled back to remove the old harness. A new harness with an 8-pin plug can replace the stock harness. I like not having to pay for an 8-pin connector and glad they don't supply one.

The Bachmann sound unit from their HO engines fits perfectly.

In the outside frame 4-4-0. Even with the Soundtraxx it is plug-n-play with a nominal "1 inch" speaker, 28mm to be exact.

Harold.

C.S.R.R. Manager

Now if we could just buy the sound/DCC card, without having to buy the HO engine too.  Stick the sound card and speaker in a green box with a Bachmann label on it.  You know, the tender design on both 4-4-0's, along with the lack of sound versions so far, makes me wonder if this hasn't been Bachmann's plan all along...

Manager