News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-4

Started by Conductor Phillip, January 04, 2009, 04:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conductor Phillip

I just got an ATSF 4-8-4 yesterday and when I run it, its wheels run off the track at a curve. What do I do? PLEASE REPLY ASAP!

RAM

which wheels and how sharp is the curve?

Conductor Phillip

the drive wheels and the curve is made of 6 curved pieces of track

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Conductor Phillip on January 04, 2009, 05:35:03 PM
the drive wheels and the curve is made of 6 curved pieces of track

Please confirm the radius, it appears with 6 pieces of track you are running on a 18" radius track. That is a large engine to be running on 18" radius track.

Also if you have used your e-z track a number of times I find that you have to be very careful with the track gauge. Plugging and unplugging the track loosens the track and you have problems with the track being out of gauge. If your track is not attached to your base you will be having all sorts of problems with the alignment.
Pacific Northern

Cassshay10

does it squeak before derailment?

Conductor Phillip

No. But should I use 22" radius track instead? I think that I should put some straights after the 3rd curve ends before it gets too sharp

Frisco

That locomotive will take 18" but just barly. It also needs the track to be in perfect condition.

Conductor Phillip

ok. Can it smoke too?

HO_GUY

I recently purchased the "overland" set with the 4-8-4 steam engine.  I was also having the same problem.  I spoke with someone from Bachman and was advised that this engine should be used with the 22" curves as it is a larger/longer engine.
Good luck.  Keep us posted.   :)

Conductor Phillip

I actually fixed the problem by breaking the engine in. Now it's just fine. But can it smoke?

Frisco

Quote from: Conductor Phillip on January 05, 2009, 08:34:25 PMcan it smoke?
Is it the DCC equiped version. If it is than no(although if you really want it there are "after-market" products avlible. If it a older version you will have to ask some-one else.