News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Jerking motion on new 2-8-0

Started by hickoryhollow, January 05, 2009, 09:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hickoryhollow

We just put our new 2-8-0 DCC on the track for the first time and we noticed that at slow speeds it didn't run smooth and jerked.  We made sure the track was clean and used conductive oil to assure contact.  All of our other Bachmann engines run smooth at slow speeds

I would like to know what this could be...Thanks...Jim

James Thomas

I would suggest light lubrication and then let the loco run at various speeds forward and reverse for a while.  If that doesn't help, I'm sure others will have some suggestions.  My 2-8-0 is a very smooth running engine. 

Good luck.

jestor

My 2-8-0's have always run smoothly out of the box. That's the way it should be. It sounds as though yours may have a mechanical problem which would warrant a return to your LHS for a replacement if the run in suggestion doesn't do any good.   Just my opinion, but putting oil on your track won't provide better electrical contact. It will attract dust and dirt and quickly become a coating of non conducting goop.  ;)

Hobojohn

Try a different,  but compatible, decoder.

John Baron
Netherlands

C.S.R.R. Manager

I think the suggested lubrication was for the gears and running gear.   Bachmann makes grease and oil for this purpose, so that's a good place to start.  Once the gears and moving parts are lubed, you might run the loco for awhile, to break it in, although, honestly, my 2-8-0's have never needed to be broken in.

If nothing else works, call the service department.