News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Identify engine

Started by dtw, January 11, 2009, 02:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtw

I found an engine I believe to be made by bachmann. It is purple and silver with 3571 Atlantic Coast Line on the side. It looks like the santa fe diesel made today by bachmann. Can anyone identify it and when was it made? It also runs good too.

Ok you were right. I took out the engine and found mantua stamped inside the shell. That was the only thing written inside the shell. Any guess es on age? maybe 60s or early 70s?

The 3rd reply from Clifford seems to have cleared this up. The picture of that engine on ebay matches the one I have here.

bevernie

:DGreetings!! Does this engine have ANY markings underneath? If it's not planely identified, it's doubtful that it's BACHMANN. It sounds like an Athearn, or maybe a Varney. I have seen an Athearn UNION PACIFIC with that number, but I've seen Varney trains with that color scheme.
     I don't know, exactly how to describe the Athearn "mark", but it is a triangle of inverted "V"s with "cicles in the middle of each of them. (You'd probably have to see it to understand!!)
      ;DHope this helps!!
                                                                                           THANX!!
                                                         8)                                  Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

bevernie

;)Hmmmm. That does look like the engine that he described, GG, but MANTUA and TYCO, both, were very good at SPECIFICALLY identifying their workmanship!
    DTW??                                                                           THANX!!
                                                      8)                                   Ernie

Guilford Guy

Do you have any better suggestions?
Alex

bevernie

:DNo, but I did ask if there were ANY marks on the bottom of his train. Certainly, Tyco and Mantua, AND Mantua/Tyco marked their equipment- be it an engine or a car. Athearn wasn't so easily identifyable... plus it has a reputation of running better! ;)
                                                                                         THANX!!
                                                           8)                              Ernie

RAM

I think Mantua put their names on just about every part.  I wonder what kind of power unit it has.  I don't know if Mantua ever changed from having the motor and truck as one unit.  I wonder if the shell may have beeen put on a different frame.