News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ-Mate couplers

Started by trainman717, January 12, 2009, 09:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman717

I am new to the world of baachman, having grown up with Hornby back home.
I have just started to bulid a layout and have bought some loco's and rolling stock. My question is 1 will EZ-Mate couplers work with Hook & Horn and 2 if they do not can I upgrade all my Hook & Horn to EZ-Mate couplers?

Yampa Bob

Yes, you can upgrade to knuckle couplers. Most recommend using Kadee metal couplers for the upgrade.  If the horn-hook couplers are truck mounted, I usually take drastic measures by rebuilding the bolsters, body mounting the couplers and modifying or replacing the trucks/wheelsets. Here's my pictorial:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,4917.0.html

My choice of coupler is Kadee #148 with companion draft boxes, but there are drop in replacements for the horn-hook.

Others will comment on less drastic, and perhaps cheaper methods to upgrade the couplers.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

BIG BEAR

Hey t-man,
    Most people have a certain consist order, some like it for looks other's think a certain or exact consist was always a standard by a railroad co. or
my train runs best in this order. You could easily get a way with changing as little as 1 front coupler and always keeping the older stuff together.

Enjoy,
           Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

trainman717

Quote from: Yampa Bob on January 12, 2009, 09:29:52 PM
Yes, you can upgrade to knuckle couplers. Most recommend using Kadee metal couplers for the upgrade.  If the horn-hook couplers are truck mounted, I usually take drastic measures by rebuilding the bolsters, body mounting the couplers and modifying or replacing the trucks/wheelsets. Here's my pictorial:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,4917.0.html

My choice of coupler is Kadee #148 with companion draft boxes, but there are drop in replacements for the horn-hook.

Others will comment on less drastic, and perhaps cheaper methods to upgrade the couplers.

Thanks for the advice and such a wealth of knowelge  ;)

trainman717

Quote from: BIG BEAR on January 13, 2009, 12:58:19 AM

Hey t-man,
    Most people have a certain consist order, some like it for looks other's think a certain or exact consist was always a standard by a railroad co. or
my train runs best in this order. You could easily get a way with changing as little as 1 front coupler and always keeping the older stuff together.

Enjoy,
           Barry

Thanks Barry for the advice

SteamGene

There are two reasons to convert to knuckle couplers.
1.  They are far more realistic looking.
2.  If you are going to operate - that is doing set outs and pick ups, backing and pushing, the knuckle coupler is far more dependable. 
Which of these two reasons is more important to you is up to you.  But when converting, Kadees are the coupler of choice.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"