News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

how to set up DCC with spectrum locos

Started by Barronm11, January 12, 2009, 09:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barronm11

I really would like to know what I need for DCC and the steps to set it up.

the Bach-man

Dear Barron,
It depends on your layout. Assuming a basic beginner's oval with sidings, like our Your First Railroad Track Pack:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1175
and an entry level DCC like our EZ Command:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1453
it's a simple two wire connection and off you go.
More complicated ayouts will require more work, obviously.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Barronm11

What about the E-Z Command Walk-Around Companion (with Connector Wires)? It looks like the same controller (I 'm probably wrong though). What exactly is different between them?

P.s. I am looking for a controller that controls the trains remotely. What one would you suggest?

Jim Banner

The Walk-Around Companion duplicates the control functions of the E-Z Command command station.  This lets you (or a friend) control the trains at a different location.  If you install the proper jacks and wiring, the location of the Walk-Around Companion can be changed as required by unplugging it at one location and plugging it back in at a different location.  I assume (but cannot confirm) that you can unplug it, move it, and plug it back in without affecting the operation of the trains (stopped ones stay stopped, moving ones keep moving at the same speed and in the same direction.)  This is something you cannot do with the command station.

Some systems can do the same thing with wireless throttles.  These wireless throttles can communicate via infra red light, much like a TV remote control or by radio.  Infra red can be a bit iffy - if the beam is blocked or pointed in the wrong direction, they can lose contact with their receivers.  Radio, on the other hand, tends to be expensive and sometimes suffers from cell phone interference.  Wired throttles, like the Walk-Around Companion, require a bit more work to install the wires and jacks but are relatively inexpensive and reliable.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Barronm11

Thank you for the information. I think, however, that for my needs it would be better if I got the remote control. Do you know what possibly what I need to make it work and how to program locos into it. Any information that you could give is greatly appreciated.
-Mike

Tylerf

The ez command is very easy to set up all you so is attach the 2 track wires and plug in the transformer. Programing is also very easy all you do is follow the few instructions. As for the ez companion i never got one so im not sure but i would guess it similar to digitraks so thats as simple as connecting the track wires to the plug module and connecting the command station to the module with phone cable. Thats about it, its nice and easy.

Barronm11

Thank you very much for the info. I also sent a message about the remote control system to my local hobby shop to see if they can help me out. I really want to use a remote control system because I feel I am always tied with wires when I use my DC controller(that and there is practically no space in my house).
-Mike