Headlight brightness on a Sprectrum Tsunami steam locomotive

Started by Dranoel, January 15, 2009, 11:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dranoel

I purchased a Spectrum K4 4-6-2 DCC ready steam locomotive with Soundtraxx sound.  The headlight is so dim you need to strike a match to see if it is functioning.  Is there any way it can be brightened, changed or corrected (maybe through a CV) so one can see it when it is working?

richG

Spectrum steamers are known to have dim lights. There is nothing to change on the decoder that I am aware of. Others may comment.
I installed my own Tsunami decoders and had to add a 1k resistor for nice headlights.
Maybe you can return the loco and hope to get one with a brighter headlight.

Rich

I have to correct myself. I looked at the Tsunami documents and they do have adjustable lighting.
Maybe the below document will shed some "light" on the subject.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/documents/manuals/Bachmann%20Quick%20Start%20Guide.pdf

Colorado_Mac

After searching the forum, I am going to "bump" this topic back up.  Any changes since 2009?  I have the Spectrum 2-8-0 and like it a lot except for the really dim headlight.  Now, i looked at the parts diagram, and the part # for the headlight is "LEDXX-10084", which I am guessing means it has an LED.  Or am I wrong and that not the case?  I have not popped it apart yet and would rather not. 
So, I guess the basic question is two-fold.  Does this locomotive have an LED headlamp, and is there any DCC-friendly method to increase brightness?  Thanks in advance, guys and gals.

jonathan

CM,

The problem, as I see it, is the LED is located in the frame.  The light has to pass through some clear plastic to get to the headlight.

You may not prefer my fix, but I clipped the wires, moved the led into the headlight, and passed the wires throught the smokebox.  Looks like this:

The light is much brighter now.  Got some really nice comments at the latest train show, where our club ran the modular layout.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Jonathan

Colorado_Mac

Jonathan,
I do like that fix.  It has been in the back of my mind to do something similar.  Thanks!

Sean

jonathan

Here's a shot with the headlight on--nice and bright.

There are other mods:  moved headlight, brakeman's shelter and a working reverse light.

This was at the Timonium Train Show on Saturday.  BTW, my Connie pulled a 19-car train, all day, with no problems.  Never even got warm.

Regards,

Jonathan

RAM

I wonder if there was enough room to dill up from the botton at the back of the base for the headlight and than go into the smoke box.  Another thing is that you could use bare wire , which would be smaller.

Colorado_Mac

Quote from: jonathan on February 08, 2011, 07:57:38 AM
...my Connie pulled a 19-car train, all day, with no problems.  Never even got warm.

Mine also goes all-out at our club open houses without a hitch.  I want the brighter light because I love to run this thing so much.

richg

Quote from: RAM on February 08, 2011, 03:13:22 PM
I wonder if there was enough room to dill up from the botton at the back of the base for the headlight and than go into the smoke box.  Another thing is that you could use bare wire , which would be smaller.

I use #44 magnet wire which is really small diameter.

Rich