News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Opinions on train shows.

Started by Neo Fender, January 19, 2009, 11:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtnut

The train shows are generally as good as the sponsors.  The Timonium show is generally good because Howard tries to limit the vendors to those primarily selling trains. In recent years he as opened up more to "toy" train folks as well as the scale dealers, but I'm OK with that.  The Greenberg shows are diluted with doll houses and other toy stuff.  The AGH shows are decent, but in my limited experience with them it seems there are more folks selling at full retail.  OTOH, some of the big manufacturers like Bachmann and Horizon, come to them.  At Timoium last Saturday I picked up an old bay-window "close-enough" caboose to go with my HO B&O Sharks, then found a true B&O prototype caboose kit (for ops on the club layout) and a built-up, with trucks and Kadees O scale Weaver WM covered hopper for $15 for the home layout.  If you are going to be anywhere near Hartford, CT this summer, go to the NMRA train show.  There you'll see almost all the manufacturers and suppliers with any new releases, plus many of the vendors that work the other shows.

CHUG

The maryland show was great again and alot of people buying alot of things so the economy and wall st isnt effecting the train business so far. Thanks to the guys from tdp i was able to sell all my designs by 10 on sunday and got home by the superbowl.I didnt get to see the guys from richmond yet I hookedup with the guys from potsville pa most of the day on saturday and until i left and they have about the best club layout i ever saw with coal mines and so forth and they get money from there city as a sponser. They should have a show there as its real impressive and so forth. The food was not as good this time and expensive.