Dcc for Bachmann HO scale 50 Ton Climax

Started by spfan, January 17, 2008, 10:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spfan

Could someone recommend a DCC decoder that will fit.  Doug

VTBob

the only thing small enough is the TDS.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/decoderpics/Bachman%20Climax/bachman_climax.htm

I tried an MRC mini-dcc sound decoder, but it's really not the right one for the job as the locomotive barely can pull its own weight.

Bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

WoundedBear

Bachmann's own #44915 decoder will fit right in....has the 8 pin plug as well.

Sid

spfan

BigBob1

I'm about to put a Mini-Tsunami (Soundtraxx) decoder in a Climax & I'm confident I can squeeze it in the tank & have room for a 7/8" speaker. The floor is drilled for the speaker & with the decoder mounted diagonally it should just fit. I do this kind of work for a couple hobby shops but at the moment I'm waiting for the speaker to come in. When I finish I'll leave a wrap-up message on this site.
Bob Battles

BigBob1

Greetings!

I just finished installing a Micro-Tsunami in a Bachmann Climax & it went fine; it's tight fit but she sounds good. The little Tsunami just fits at a 45 deg. angle inside the tank on top of the speaker & happily, the frame was drilled for the speaker! One tip: before cutting all the wires off the ckt. board, paint them with acrylic paint of the color used by the Tsunami-- it'll make things much easier. If not, you'll have a fistful of black wires coming up thru a hole in the floor & you'll have to buzz every one out, not a fun job. The two wires on the ckt. board marked LED1 go to the headlight, LED2 goes to the backup light, M- & M+ go to the motor & the two at the front corners go to the left & right rails. But the Climax runs like a champ & the Micro-Tsunami chosen was LIGHT LOGGING, so it has a couple whistles that'll give you goose-bumps! Have fun.     Bob Battles

johnnyutah

Hey Big Bob1,
I want to add sound to my climax and I found your instilation details interesting. By the sounds of it you got rid of the circit board all together, yes? So by simple deduction (and I am simple) you just conect the respective wires coming up into the coal box, to the colour coded ones on the decoder, correct? I have only been using standard decoders and hard wiring them to the circit boards in locos that have the room for all, as the the climax has stuff all room, I am saying that is why the circit board needs to go?

BigBob1

To JohnnyUtah, my answer to all your questions is YES. The Micro-Tsunami will not fit in the tank with the ckt. board still in place. Labeling the wires before you cut them off the ckt. board will save you a bunch of time. I found the chuffing synced in at the CV setting of around 120--125. Have fun.

Bob Battles

Birdog

BigBob,
Couple of questions on your Climax install.
Did you put in the capacitor?
What size resistors did you use for the LED's?
Do you think I should drill some holes in the coal load as well?
I'm going to attempt an oval speaker the 1.00x.56 from soundtraxx I think it will fit.
Thanks for your time.
Birdog