News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-0 Leading trucks coming off track

Started by hickoryhollow, January 20, 2009, 02:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hickoryhollow

Mr Bachman: I'm having trouble with my new 2-8-0 leading trucks coming off the track as it is coming around a curve and coming over a switch.  I have cleaned the track and the switch is closing fully.  Any suggestions?
Thanks, Jim

hminky

I had that problem on Atlas turnouts and the point rail was too low. A shim under the throw rod helped.

Harold

jestor

Quote from: hminky on January 20, 2009, 05:22:46 PM

I had that problem on Atlas turnouts and the point rail was too low. A shim under the throw rod helped.

Harold
Also, you might try to file off any rough edges that the wheel flange may be catching on.

the Bach-man

Dear Hickory,
I'd also check the gauge on the wheels with an NMRA track gauge.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

pandprr

I had that problem too on several areas of the track.

The simple solution was to just remove the front truck spring. It doesn't actuall need it as the truck is quite heavy enough without it and I have had no derailing trouble anywhere on the layout since I removed it.

SCL

I also had that problem with my Soundtraxx 2-8-0.  In my case, it turned out that the spoked pilot wheels would intermittently seize and start sliding along the rails.  I switched to the optional solid wheeled truck and have had no further problems.  I like the outside springs so I transferred it to the solid wheeled truck.  It was not what was causing the wheel set to seize.

Good luck. :)

El Loco

Quote from: pandprr on January 30, 2009, 05:08:49 AM
I had that problem too on several areas of the track.

The simple solution was to just remove the front truck spring. It doesn't actual need it as the truck is quite heavy enough without it and I have had no derailing trouble anywhere on the layout since I removed it.
I had the same exact trouble and solved it as the quote above on two of my 2-8-0's  not sure why but the fact is I  havent had any trouble with either one since!