Different Couplers on 2 new N scale sets, why?

Started by Billiumss, January 11, 2009, 11:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billiumss

Hi guys,

My son got a Thunder Valley N scale train set for Christmas and loves it!  8) My wife always wanted a train set so she got the Explorer N scale set, both are brand new, factory sealed.

The Thunder Valley set came from our local train shop and the Explorer was bought off of Ebay.

Why would the sets have different couplers, they are totally different from each other and are not compatable. Was there a change over? The Explorer couplers don't seem to hold as well as the Thunder Valley set.

Since I plan on buying more cars down the road, which style is the standard and stays hooked the best?  ???

Any links and or pics that can help me out?

Thanks again!

Bill

the Bach-man

Dear Bill,
We switched to a dummy knuckle that will mate with other knuckle couplers on the market. The set with the wedge shaped hook-like couplers (the old Rapido type) must have been an older set.
It's very easy to change over, and new couplers are very inexpensive.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

boxman

can you buy the coupler and wheel set complete and if so what would be the part#...Boxman

GlennW

Go to the N Accessory Items from the Product List. Take the numbers to your LHS. ModelTrainstuff also has them in stock.

boxman

thanks GlennW, my train set is the thunder mtn. is their a specific part# for the  coupler assembled to the truck and wheels all ready to attach to rolling stock. My kid can't assemble the small couplers and wheels

GlennW

Take your pick:

#42531 3 pair couplers, short, medium, long                  $1.95 - $1.29
              (Long-Medium may be needed on loco?)

#42532 25 pair couplers, all short                                  $17.50-$11.99

#42533 12 pair Couplers on trucks, no wheels               $23.50-$15.79
              unscrew old T/c, install new T/c, swap wheelsets

Atlas Accumate  pair                                                       $4.85-$3.49
MTL truck/coupler  pair                                                   $5.40-$3.99
With the Atlas & MTL couplers, you would have to enlarge the bolster hole in the truck to fit over the Bachmann bolster body pin.

You could even swap some of the trucks from one set to one end of the other till you have 2 sets with both types. This may get you some time till your son can get a little older. You will need a small Philips screwdriver. A lot of Nscalers started out this way.

boxman