News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Removing a Prairie 2-6-2 Body

Started by Billmtb, January 24, 2009, 06:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billmtb

I want to lube mine but can't seem to find the trick to removing the body.  I don't want to break any plastic.

Yampa Bob

Hi Bill

This site does not represent your loco, but the second picture might give you a clue where the mounting screws could be located. Typically the rear screw also attaches the drawbar.

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/UKMS/class45xx.shtml

Hope this helps, if not someone else may comment.
Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Conrail Quality

Bob, are you sure that first site is showing an HO prairie? That one has all the hallmarks of Bachmann's N-scale prairie, especially the infamous motor that's clearly sticking out of the cab.

Timothy
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Yampa Bob

You are probably correct Tim, I just checked the scale divisions in the pictures.  I'll remove the first link, thanks. 

I searched the net for an hour and found no reference to the Prairie, and there is no listing on the Product Reference page in the left menu.

Bill, all my Bachmann locos came with an exploded diagram. Did you not receive one with your Prairie? 

Billmtb

Hi, yes I do have the exploded diagram however there are no extension lines or screws to the shell.  I'm an engineer who knows how to read blueprints and drawings and I'm at a loss here.  My only guess is the shell is a snap fit.

Yampa Bob

Try removing the drawbar screw, see if the rear of shell will move up a bit.  On some locos, once the drawbar screw is out, the shell pivots upward, then slides forward to free the shell front from the casting.

I know, it's frustrating.  I fiddled with a GP40 for days until someone said to snap off the fuel tank, to expose the shell screws.

I need to call Caboose Hobbies tomorrow, their installer will know how to get the thing off as he has installed decoders in some of them. Check back tomorrow night.   8)

Yampa Bob

I talked to the installer at Caboose Hobbies today. He has installed in the Prairie, but didn't have one in stock to recollect the exact procedure, just from memory.

"Remove front and rear trucks.  There is one screw near the rear to remove.  At the front, between the cylinders and in a recessed area, is a "tab". Insert a small screwdriver in recess, slight push or twist will disengage the tab.  The shell then lifts straight up". (use a flashlight to locate the tab).

I suggest to Bachmann that shell removal instructions should be included with every locomotive, preferably on the exploded diagram, with any screws involved circled or labeled. 

lvrr325

Shell on those is rough to remove, but I believe it snaps on with hidden lugs at both ends. 

Yampa Bob

The guy at Caboose works on so many, he said it's hard to remember each loco. It would be nice to have a PDF of all the locos with removal instructions. I know we modelers ask a lot, but after all we are the ones keeping the companies in business.

Once the shell is off, we can usually figure out the rest of disassembly.

Billmtb

Thanks for the tips guys.  I'll try them this weekend!