News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Nickel Silver vs Steel EZ track

Started by darrellwinstonhill, January 24, 2009, 06:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrellwinstonhill

Couple of questions:

1.  Can you mix Nickel-Silver and Steel EZ track in the same layout?

2.  Has anyone noticed an APPRECIABLE difference in performance between Nickel-Silver and Steel EZ track?

3.  Should I worry about using Steel track with a DCC system?

I am expanding my original DCC Digital Commander set (that came with Nickel-Silver track) and was wondering if I need to buy additional Nickel-Silver track or if I can buy the less expensive Steel EZ track.

Thanks, Darrell

Tylerf

first of all is the nickel silver track that came with the set still easy track(im almost positive it is)and the steel track is easy track than it should all be compatible. Next are you trying to mix easytrack with standard non roadbed track, if so its perfectly fine it just takes a little work to connect. and all track in the same scale is or should be compatible and dcc should also work with any track as long as its clean.
Tyler

darrellwinstonhill

thanks much.

yes it is all EZ track so it sounds like I should be Ok

Terry Toenges

1. - Yes
2. - The difference comes if the steel track isn't kept clean and rusts and conductivity decreases.
3. - Not as long as you are diligent about keeping it clean.
Feel like a Mogul.

Frisco

Quote from: darrellwinstonhill on January 24, 2009, 06:21:08 PM
Couple of questions:

1.  Can you mix Nickel-Silver and Steel EZ track in the same layout? Yes

2.  Has anyone noticed an APPRECIABLE difference in performance between Nickel-Silver and Steel EZ track?Yes, Nickle Silver will stay clean for a long time where as Steel needs to be cleaned about every-other day.

3.  Should I worry about using Steel track with a DCC system? No, but it is much more important to keep it clean since you could loose the signal(and control of your locomotive).

darrellwinstonhill

thanks much for all your guidance.

Darrell

grumpy

My whole layout is a mixture of EZ track both the black and grey.I have had this installed for three years and to date have not noticed any appreciable difference in maintenance required.
Don

darrellwinstonhill

Thanks Don.

I'm tying to save a few bucks where I can.

Darrell

Rangerover

The difference comes if the steel track isn't kept clean and rusts and conductivity decreases.

Rust... I tried rusting some steel track, left it outside for a while, about six weeks in all kinds of weather, no rust. Was trying to get natural rust on it to use it for an abandoned track scene on my layout. It is zinc coated such as an old water pail or laundry tub, all I got was the white zinc dust oxide!

I also had some old steel track along with NS and brass from up to 50 years ago stored for 35 years in all kinds of environment, wet to damp basements, attics, out buildings and unheated garages, The NS and brass were far worse corroded than the steel, which only had a tiny bit of rust on the tips where the connectors were, removed with wd 40 and a rag.

Since retiring 3 years ago, I came back to the hobby and am still building my layout and have used some of the old track. I jumped into DCC with a vengeance and purchased the Bachmann EZ track for some of my layout, and run in DCC with no problems with using both steel and NS. I do clean it with metal polish, Maas or Flitz once every 6 months, I run my trains every day again with no problems. I use no abrasives whatsoever on my track, scratches, no matter how fine will collect dust, dirt, bits of metal, oil, grease, etc. and will cause problems.

Running Bear

My current layout started out as a mix of steel and nickel-silver EZ-Track because I couldn't afford all ns at the start. Over time I replaced all the steel track with nickel-silver when I could afford it.
Running Bear

darrellwinstonhill

did you replace it because it did not perform well?

Having replaced the track, have you found it worth the extra cost to use the nickel-silver instead of keeping the steel track?

Joe Satnik

Dear Darrell,

As you expand and as your layout gets more elaborate, you will find that the fancier pieces (and the necessary fitter pieces to make them all "work") are only available in NS/gray.

Some put their black/steel track in hidden staging yards or tunnels, or cover them with ballast (along with the rest of their layout).

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

Rangerover

I used the Bachmann EZ track only on my subway, 2 lines. When it came to the curves, I used the black only, and only because I couldn't get 22" radius in the gray. I could only find it on eBay and when I bid I would always get outbid even @ $3.00 per piece for the gray, it was hard to come by 3 years ago. And then such as the previous poster pointed out, I couldn't find the "pieces" I needed,my subway is lined up exactly plumb with the edge of the top, curved corners too, and when I did find the pieces, they to me were expensive. So I would take a full piece and cut it to fit square so the pieces butt each other, and shimmed if need be. I attached it in place with my special glue nails I made and some plastic glue here and there as needed. I have a wire buss under the entire 70' feet from point to point and separate buss's for each line. I merely dropped feeders to the track that I cut to fit and soldered on the outside of each rail, hence no connectors.  A lot of modeler's don't like steel or brass at all, in  fact they hate it with a vengeance.  I must admit I used all 3, but all my mainline track, especially in hard to reach, like mountains and tunnels, I used the NS Atlas flex, in fact all the lines and yard on the main top layout is all mostly atlas flex, NS code 100 ( I can't tell the difference once it's ballasted from code 83), and I did use some brass in the yard spurs and even steel on some siding's Anybody that's seen it don't ever complain or ask about it, too much other stuff to look at, they just like the scenery, the tunnels, and the train running, seems to go unnoticed, don't believe I had a rivet counter see it yet, then I suppose I'll get told, but I'll have the last say with my words to him if it ever happens! Hope the door don't hit him in the butt when he leaves!