News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Crest train engineer

Started by jonjdurkin, January 29, 2009, 10:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonjdurkin

Has anyone used the Crest train engineer wireless system? If so, how well does it work?
I have a 8x8 HO DC layout. No DCC at this time , but a wireless walk-around controller looks pretty neat.

Hunt

A usable niche proprietary product that has been around for awhile. It is more in use in large scale than HO. Crest just updated the product.

If your model command control needs are filled by DCC then TE is not a choice you should be considering.

Sheldon is building a proprietary command control system for large HO layout using TE.
Click http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,2893.0.html contact him off this board if you may have an interest.

jestor

I will assume that your loco's are not DCC equipped and run on straight DC. If this is the case, the basic Train Engineer works quite well by simply controling the voltage going to the track. They have just come out with new system that (I think) uses little receivers you put in each loco. I am not familiar with this new system, as I have only used the older basic Train Engineer. The newer system sounds a lot like radio controlled DCC to me; the receiver/decoder getting it's commands by radio waves instead of thru the track like DCC.  Looks like you may have some homework to do in order to choose which system to use.  Good luck. :)

smcgill

I use it outside in the garden.
It hooks up between the power pack and track.
When you hit the fast button the unit sends power to the track.
As you cont. to press the fast button, more power goes to the track.
Meanwhile the engine is taking the power from the track and moving down the track.
When you hit the reverse button, the unit stops sending power and reverses polarity, and the your engine after a while it goes the other way!
If you find you have jumped the track a 10 amp fuse will blow saving the unit.
Works great.

Atlantic Central

jonjdurkin,

As Hunt mentioned, I use the Train Engineer and have developed a companion cab control system to take full andvantage of its walk around features and allow the operation of multiple trains.

A few clarifications - the TE has two output modes, one is variable voltage, the other is pulse width modulation, which in simple terms means there is a constant voltage on the track but it is pulsed (turned on and off rapidly) to control the locos speed.

While the TE provides good speed control and excellent slow speed operation in both modes, the pulse width mode is superior.

For a layout of your size the Train Engineer would be a great choice. If/when you expand you may decide you want DCC or you may like what my control system offers. In any case the Train Engineer is not a big investment (even two or three would be less than DCC) and they do work very well.

Feel free to read my ongoing post on my system and contact me directly if you need more information. I can provide you with lot of info on using the TE, what power supplies are best, special antennas for indoors, as well as my cab selector system, a very good turnout control system and even signaling if you desire it.

Sheldon

Mark Damien

Can the Basic Train Engineer, be connected to a battery in the tender.

The track is outside & I'd rather get rid of track power completely.

The Basic TE is relatively inexpensive compared to other systems.
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Atlantic Central

Mark,

What guage train? Large Scale? Yes, lots of large scale modelers use the Train Engineer in that exact way, but I do believe you would be better of with the 10 amp version.

You can find out more about this by searching the large scale board here or going on the Aristo web site.

Sheldon