News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC turnout problem

Started by hawaiiho, January 24, 2009, 04:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawaiiho

Since I am going to change over(slowly because of cost) to DCC, I have starting adding DCC turnouts(again, like the other equipment, one or two at a time(because of cost). I immediately encountered a problem.  I installed a brand new, out of the box DCC left turnout. I re-progammed the turnout to #8. The turnout command operates normally for several cycles, the turnout quits responding.  The standard remote turnout that I replaced with the DCC turnout worked fine--no problems.

Any one got any ideas?

hawaiiho

I just tried a straight DC locmotive on the same layout, using a DC controller thru the DCC controller. The turnout works perfectly.

The direction of movement of the loco is the same as the direction arrow on the DC controller.

When I returned to using A a DCC loco, the DCC turnout worked fine for a few cycles and then quit responding,

The loco is programed on button #1 and as I said, the turnout is programmed on button #8,

BTW, the layout is the same as the one pictured on the Bachmann box(Your First Railroad Track Pack) except one the the turnouts used for

the passing siding (the left turnout) has been changed to the DCC turnout.

hawaiiho

Well, I been tryed all the  different configurations of hooking up the controllers that Bachmann suggests.  I tried using button
# 10 for DC controller access.  I have tried running the DC controller through the EZ Commander using the black interconnect cord. I prefer this because it automatically  frees up #10  to provide another digital channel. I even tried using the DC controller to  power only the remote turnouts and the EZ Commander to control the the DCC locos. Regardless of the combination I can only run one DCC loco at a time and maintain the  control of the DCC turnout for more than a few cycles of the turnout. As soon as I attempt to run a second DCC loco, after a few cycles of the DCC turnout, the turnout stops responding.

In all the configurations that I tried all other functions(speed, direction, lites, etc) work fine.

hawaiiho

One problem solved----another created.

When I finally quit randomly trying different things and sat down with a paper and pencil, I solved the turnout control problem fairly quickly.
I encountered a similar problem with ham radio equipment when digital conrol signals overlaying electrical circuitry  first came into use.
The switching would go flakey if the polarity of the  connection were reversed.
So, I pulled out the power connector to the track and turned it over. You guessed it, problem solved. DCC control of the turnout works the way it supposed to work.

However. Any DC equipment that I put on the track runs counter to the indicated direction of movement on the DC controller.
I have come up with two possible causes. Bachmann has some very poor design engineers. Unlikely for many reasons. Primarily, if this were a design flaw, there would be thousands of folks who had or were changing over to DCC would be asking why their DC equipment was running backwards when the interconnected DC contoller was calling for forward.  Unless someone here can come up with a different answer; it appears that a worker in the Bachmann factory that built the E-Z Commander DCC controller or the interconnect cable, swaped a wire somewhere. I tried a different DC controller in conjunctin with the DCC controller(using the same interconnect cable) and that did not help.  The problem appears to be somewhere in the DCC controller or the interconnect cable. And I don't have enough knowledge of either to determine which it might be.

Bac Man       Any ideas?